• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remove Dialer - change to an IPOD type device

compgeek

Jun 10, 2011
ok so I have 2 Huawei Ascends (not Ascend 2) and would like to turn them something like an Ipod Touch, so no dialer, navigation, maps, contacts, none of that. I want it to be able to play some games and surf the net, view ebooks and such and thats about it. I am doing this for my son who is 5 and i dont want him to have the ability to dial even 911.

Also I would like to overclock it if possible ( even change the entire OS if needed.)

Is the phone rooted? That's likely the only way to accomplish what you want. Otherwise you'll have to settle for just deleting the shortcuts. Root is required to overclock.

Not sure if you can uninstall dialer, as I have never had the guts to try. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the dialer app if that's the case. Maps and nav are safe to uninstall. Other system apps that you might not use (like Google Talk) can cause real headaches if you get rid of them.

For overclocking, if you're running a custom ROM like Cyanogenmod, just go into performance settings to set the CPU frequency. Take up the speed gradually, as some Ascends don't take to overclocking well. If you're rooted with no custom ROM, I've seen a few apps in Play that will allow you to adjust the performance settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones