• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Remove pre-installed adware

Andyking

May 14, 2015
Hello.

My device is a Joinet J13 Quad Core tablet with Android 4.4.2

From time to time, some annoying ads appear, sometimes pop up ads and sometimes ads as notifications.
I was able to identify some of the apps that were causing this, the apps were pre-installed and I could not uninstall them. I managed to disable some of them though.

As far as I know, there are still two adware apps installed and running.
I've scanned the device with AVG and Malwarebytes and both showed the same results; an app pretending to be a search app and other pretending to be an android calendar app.
Both AVG and Malwarebytes tried to uninstall the apps but didn't made it because could not uninstall pre-installed apps. Neither can they be disabled.

I read that a factory reset can get rid of any installed adware/malware apps, but since these apps are pre-installed, a factory reset will not remove them, right?

So, what's the best option for me? Rooting the device and removing the identified adware apps, or installing a clean rom without pre-installed apps?
I've no experience with this.

Also, I have two different apps running called "Google play services", is that normal?

Thank you.

Also, I have two different apps running called "Google play services", is that normal?
Yes. Three if you have a Chromecast.

1431637738338.jpg

1431637752762.jpg

1431637768967.jpg

1431637785651.jpg

1431637801021.jpg

You have one Play Services app - but it shows up in as many service types as necessary.

No big deal.

Not everything running is a user app. Some apps service other apps.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Ok, thank you both for your quick reply.
Now I understand the duplicated Play Services.

The device is not rooted.
That's why I'm asking what is the best solution.
Root and uninstall these adware apps?
Or install a new clean rom on the device?

A factory reset won't solve this, right?

Upvote 0
Well, I think I'm just gonna root the tablet and uninstall these apps...

But I've never rooted an Android device, I don't think it's too hard, but I don't want to make any mistake.

What do you think of "Kingo Root"? http://www.kingoapp.com/
It make it sound so easy...

Should I try it?
I've backed up all personal data and files.
I don't think I can back up the system unless the device is already rooted.

I'll be grateful for any advice or documentation that can be helpful.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
You can try it - there are a number of wunder root apps that promise everything. If it doesn't work, try another, ask us for options.

That approach - probably the only type open to you - won't leave you with a custom recovery in place of the stock one where you can make a perfect image backup.

Because of that, you don't want to uninstall anything - you want to freeze it and any number of root helpers can assist you - Titanium Backup would be a good choice.

Essentially a freeze renames the apps in question so that Android won't recognize them and they won't run.

If you freeze something and your system becomes unstable because of it, you can unfreeze and not be stuck with a paperweight.

Upvote 0
So, I should try to root the device (I'm gonna try this Kingo root) and if I succed, before making any changes, uninstalling or freezing apps, I should make a system backup?
You can't make a system backup with just rooting via kingo or the like.

You can do a user backup however.

So right after root, you want to go with Titanium Backup - make a backup of all your apps and data - then freeze the bloatware via Titanium. Don't uninstall it.

Upvote 0
Quick question guys. If we freeze a vital app and it stops the phone from booting and we don't have a nandroid, how do we unfreeze it? Safe mode?
As long as you stay in system apps and not other files that ought not happen.

Worse case then would be looping on entry to the launcher.

For that -

adb shell
su
cd /system/app

And rename the frozen offenders back to respond operations.

To prepare for that end, get the Mini-SDK and adb drivers -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Turn usb debugging on in developer settings (settings, About, Software information and tap build number until access granted).

Confirm access from command window opened to sdk-tools (made by unzipping sdk-tools.zip) (shift+right click on the sdk-tools folder in Windows Explorer, open command window here) and say -

adb devices

Success when serial number appears - good for a rainy day.

Upvote 0
Just a quick pop-in...freezing an app actually sets a disabled state on the app--it remains present on the device (with it's original name), but Android knows it's not accessible (launchable).

I'm guessing if you froze something that kept you from booting, you'd have to either hope that adb had been launched or boot yourself into custom recovery and use adb from there to thaw (enable) the app in question.

Lemme dig-out the proper pm (package manager) commands for doing that and I'll post back here in a few (hopefully :p).

edit: okay, quick note: doing this depends on whether or not you have SE Linux enforcement set to permissive mode or not (i.e., enforcing). Lollipop (5.0+) typically should be set to enforcing, so you'll need to launch the package manager using a special context. In the example below I'm thawing-out the YouTube system app:

su --context u:r:untrusted_app:s0 -c "/system/bin/pm enable com.google.android.youtube"

P.S. there are other apps besides TiBu that will do freezing and thawing--it's just the most well-known one.

Also, I'm not sure the special context is needed for su (or that su is even needed) when using adb from a custom recovery...lemme grab a current version of TWRP and try it on my N5...brb again...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there you go.

I've been doing ghetto freezing by hand for 5 years, with a simple addition of a .sav suffix added to the apk file name. I know that some apps used to do that for a freeze - never knew that had had changed.

TIL, thanks sa! :)

PS - wasn't referring to using adb from recovery - that was for a running, but errant or erratic system. There's no custom recovery here and I doubt that this one would respond to adb from below a running system.

Upvote 0
Um...bad news on using the package manager (pm) command via adb in custom recovery: I'm getting an "Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'android.os.IBinder android.os.IServiceManager.getService(java.lang.String)' on a null object reference" error.

:(

LOL on the ghetto freezing, EM! :) Actually, I'm guessing that (renaming) is indeed probably the best way to proceed for disabling a system app since it appears to be difficult to re-enable using the package manager from adb without other proper normal Android components up and running (i.e., the service mentioned above).

Makes me wonder now exactly where the enable/disable bit is stored for each app...I've never had to cross this bridge before but had always assumed I could use the pm command also in custom recovery's adb.

I'll keep thinking about this, though...

Upvote 0
Towelroot just said "Your phone is not supported".
But "Kingo Root" did the trick.

I was about to freeze the unwanted apps, but Titanium backup PRO is needed to use some features as freezing apps.

What free alternatives to Titanium backup do you recommend?
Get X-plore File Manager, Menu, configuration, check to allow root access.

1431661573584.jpg

Go to /system/app

Check a bloatware file. Look in the toolbar for the rename - the file will end in apk, change so it ends as apk.sav - reboot.

Do one at a time, it'll go faster in the long run to never rush your first time through.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your kind help.
I finally was able to freeze the adware apps, and now the ads are gone.

Now I'm facing other issue, fortunately not so serious.
There is a preinstalled folder in the device named "UserSpaces" and it contains a HD video, advertising I think.
I can delete the folder or the video, but every time the device is rebooted, the folder and the video are there again.
Is there a way to identify what app is creating this video and freeze it?
Or at least a way to exclude the video from the gallery?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones