Remove preinstalled programs?

Last Updated:

1. Lavene

Lavene Active Member This Topic's Starter

The Spica is my first Android device and I'm fairly happy with it. However, it came preloaded with a bunch of crap (Facebook, Myspace etc etc) which I can't seem to uninstall. I find that seriously annoying since I don't use those things.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer is to root the device but I really don't want to do that before my contract with my carrier expire ('free' phone). Please tell me I'm wrong...

Advertisement
  2. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

You're right.

3. Lavene

Crap! Oh well... not a big deal. Just annoying.

4. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

Very easy to root your phone. And I too couldn't wait to ge rid of the MyCrap & Farcebook.

In fact I have a list of bloatware you can afford to get rid of when you root your phone. Phone runs faster, more stable, more compatibility and customised to MY needs.

Sure you don't want to root?

5. *Centurion

*Centurion Member

I'd love to see the list of yours if you don't mind.

I saw this posted and perhaps he can do it this way How to Remove Stock Android Apps

6. Lavene

Well, I'm not usually afraid of diving into unknown geeky territory, it's just that it would really suck to brick the phone and having to buy a new one while still paying for this one. And I understand that bricking is a real danger if one manage to screw up..?

7. prinsesa

prinsesa Member

I've had the same dilemma, I was so afraid to brick my phone. But as long as you do it right, you won't brick it. And it's pretty easy and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the results. I know it's risky but I was glad I did it in the end. I'm sure you will be, too. :D

This was the guide I followed: Rooting Guide

There are a lot of available guides you can use, whichever you're most comfortable with. Beerkan has a good guide, too!

8. Lavene

Thanks. I'll think about it until my annoyance climbs to intolerable levels.

One thing i notice though is that most of the guides seem to be for Windows. I'm not very comfortable with Windows and my only win computer is a small XP netbook. I'm much more 'at home' in a Linux environment. Especially for the slightly more 'hackish' stuff.

9. pseud0

pseud0 Member

One solution is to add shortcuts to the homescreen and ignore the app drawer entirely? If you haven't discovered you can add shortcuts to the home screen from the app drawer by pressing and holding the icon, similarly you can delete shortcuts from the home screen by pressing and holding them until a wastebasket appears then drag them to the wastebasket.

If you use something like LauncherPro you get a MacOS like expose effect on a second press of the home key and you can then easily spot where the shortcut you need is even if they spill across multiple homescreens.

10. Lavene

Yes, I know. It's just annoying that I can't get rid of the programs I don't use without major surgery, not a really big deal.

Thanks anyway :)