Remove Root before Re Sale?

Last Updated:

1. gwhitevt

gwhitevt Member This Topic's Starter

I have a rooted Droid Eris, Running Kaos Froyo. I have a new phone now and would like to sell the Eris. I already did a data wipe and format of the SD card.

My question - any reason to remove root? Will a new owner have any problem activating this through Verizon as is?

The phone ran Kaos for me perfectly for a couple of months prior to getting my new phone, just wondering if anyone had any issues with this type of thing.

thanks,
    gw

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I'd un-root prior to selling my Eris, as we've seen mixed reports on success with activation of a rooted device.

Having the new user dial *22899 could work.. I wish I could post a "yes" or "no" to your question, but it seems to be in a grey area, thus my choice to bring the device back to factory settings before turning it over to someone else.

3. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Well-Known Member

If I may interject here, is it as simple as pressing a button?

4. jsuh

jsuh Well-Known Member

I wrote a tutorial on how to unroot your Eris before you return it to Verizon.

You can find the article at Unroot Your Droid Eris (How-To) | JonSuh.com

5. driverx125

driverx125 Well-Known Member

I sold mine rooted selling koasfroyo and it activated just fine. twice to be spicific

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

The deactivation/activation process a mixed bag that depends on your ROM, frankly.

Yesterday I experimented a little (actually unrooted and re-rooted my phone several times in the process); here's an uncomprehensive look at things:

It seems nearly impossible on any phone with Amon_RA on it to wipe the activation state of the phone - that is because the "Factory Reset" in the OS Settings area relies on the stock recovery to perform both the wiping of /data and the wiping of activation data. The Amon_RA recovery will do the filesystem wipe of /data and /cache, but it does not touch activation data.

Granted - your question is about activation, not de-activation. (The reason that I mention unrooting is that in order to test activation, I wanted to de-activate the phone first - so I had to go back to an unrooted phone to do that).

When it came time to activate the phone, I tried it with a Froyo ROM - Tazz 2.0. I could manually make the call (*228), but could not for the life of me get a dial keypad to appear. (Pressing "Menu" while in the call brought up a menu, one item of which was "display keypad" or similar - but it didn't work.) Argh.

OTOH, after a few rounds of nagging me to press press a key, the VZW *228 call eventually went through the activation process (without me having ever pressed a key!).

To the OP - I would feel a lot more comfortable about selling a phone that had it's activation status wiped. And right now, unrooting and performing a factory reset are the only way to insure that. Granted, if you notify the carrier that you are selling your device and no longer want the ESN/MEID associated with your phone number, you are unlikely to have troubles. But, until you have unrooted and performed a factory reset - your activation data is still in the phone.

eu1

PS

This ROM (XDA) will reset you back to factory, including restoring the recovery partition to factory.

7. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

For future reference, long-press of the menu should pop up the keyboard, and from there you can switch to the numeric keyboard. Or you can dial *22899 to try to do an automated activation and PRL update.

erisuser1 likes this.