Remove stock apps?

Last Updated:

1. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do I remove some of the stock apps that I dont use like amazon mp3? I am rooted but I am not running a custom rom just rooted and overclocked thats all.

Advertisement
  2. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

I used Root Explorer from the market. Its like Astro but it takes you down to the root of the phone instead of the sdcard like Astro. If you go into /system then apps you will see all the apk files there. All you have to do is hit mount in the upper right hand corner, long press the apk, rename, then change apk to bak, or you can just delete as well, its up to you.

3. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

you can also do it through terminal:

su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock3 /system
    rm /system/app/com.amazon.mp3.apk
    mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /system
    exit

4. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

I just use Titanium backup and click uninstall on the app I want. Worked for Car Home at least.

5. es0tericcha0s

es0tericcha0s Well-Known Member

Titanium is the easiest way. Root Explorer works fine as well, but if you are not that familiar with the folder set up of roms, then it might be confusing for you. Titanium also has a free version, where as Root Explorer cost a few dollars. I use it all the time, but just presenting the options because I know some people don't want to spend the money on apps if it isn't necessary for them. Just for future reference though, most of the apps that come with the rom are located in the folder /system/app. Apps you install are generally found in /data/app or /data/app-private. You will need to reboot for changes to take effect by deleting the files with Root Explorer I believe as well. Hope this helps.

6. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Titanium works great because you can "freeze" the app first to see if removing it will effect anything else on your phone. I froze what I thought was a useless app and it kept me from connecting to 3G. You can just leave it frozen also and your rom will act like it is not even there. Big fan of freezing here, it just gives you more flexibility. I have gone back to a straight FRG22 and have frozen the apps I did not want. I have not found anything custom that I have worked any better and I really don't care about themes, but I am always looking :).

7. lilbballer27

lilbballer27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes Titanium is working like a charm! Thank you everyone!!