• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

removing bloatware basics

JamesR913

Jul 24, 2010
Ok I have a captivate and really want to get rid of the AT&T crap. I have rooted and have to sdk and busy box all installed (at least I think the sdk is installed). Every time I try to

Type in: cd _____PATH TO ANDROID SDK FOLDER______\tools
Example: cd C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools

I get "The system cannot find the path specified"

What am I doing wrong I have the android-sdk-windows folder on my desktop and went through the sdk setup.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking for the file needed??

Please help

easy way to save yourself some time is to move the folder to C:/... say C:/androidsdk

notice that there's no spaces in the title. spaces must have quotes put around the path name. for example, typing:
cd C:\Program Files\sdk

will make the computer try to change to the directory C:\Program, the space delineates the argument. the proper way to do that is:
cd "C:\Program Files\sdk"

Once you have the whole path thing figured out, I suggest adding it to the path environmental variable so that you no longer have to deal with it. In windows 7:
right click on computer/my computer >> properties >> advanced settings (on the left) >> advanced tab >> environmental variables.

on the bottom is a list of system variables, select Path. You'll see a list of different directories separated by semi-colons. add it into the list and make sure there's a ; in between the surrounding paths. mine looks like this:
C:\android\tools;c:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\

after you do that, you no longer have to enter the tools folder in order to run any executable within it. i.e. you can be in a directory full of .apk's and just type adb install fubar.apk.

hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones