Removing boot animation completely?

Last Updated:

1. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been searching around for this a lot, and I can't seem to find any related information.

Is it possible to completely remove the boot animation? I'd have to assume the phone would boot faster, and anyway, I don't need all these flashy things and sounds playing when I turn on my phone. :p

I thought about just removing the zip file thingy whose name I can't remember, but won't that just make it do the default animation?

Advertisement
  2. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

I think if you could it would be a black screen for 15 to 20 seconds, but probably not any faster to load. If I remove my Windows splash screen for my pc, it would still take the same amount of time to boot up wouldn't it?

3. crazydog

Well no that's not so true. It's perfectly possible for it to not be doing anything while the animation is playing. The main thing is I want to get rid of the sound, but there's no mp3 file in the directory with the boot animation zip, so I'm stumped.

4. silverxbv2

I'm not understanding. What boot animation are you talking about?

5. silverxbv2

6. crazydog

That's one of the first things I looked at

The problem with that is:
    1) It doesn't say how to REMOVE the animation (just how to use the default animation)
    2) It says that the sound should be at '/data/local/android_audio.mp3', but that file does not exist in the Froyo ROM.

7. NoRegrets78

NoRegrets78 Well-Known Member

When I was messing around with the bootanimation.zip I installed a file that was a zip inside a zip and didn't realize it. The phone didn't know how to handle it and instead of going through a complete animation it was about 5 seconds of black screen then booted into Sense. So yes, you can remove boot animations, but I'm not sure if you can completely remove the file or just make it that there's nothing in the bootanimation.zip file.

8. Skorpios1027

Skorpios1027 Frell me dead VIP Member

On the leaked Froyo ROM, the boot animation is VZW_bootanimation.zip and the audio is VZW_Droid.mp3. Both are located in the folder
    Code (Text):
    1. /system/customize/resource/
    If you remove them you will get a basic animation of the word android, but I can''t remember quite what it looks lke.

Dex and crazydog like this.
  9. TheCowGod

TheCowGod Well-Known Member

What would be REALLY cool is if there was a way to remove the boot animation and just get the boot text so we could see what the phone is doing when it boots up. Its Linux right, I wanna see all the diagnostic info and kernel messages and stuff...

iiturnull likes this.
  10. Skorpios1027

I agree that would be cool.

11. spartan141

spartan141 Well-Known Member

so what commands would i have to type in to push my own boot animation? already tried to old way in adb and its no longer working.

12. Skorpios1027

Name the bootanimation VZW_bootanimation.zip and the audio VZW_Droid.mp3, then use the following commands in Clockwork Recovery with the /system partition mounted
    Code (Text):
    1. adb push VZW_bootanimation.zip /system/rcustomize/resource/
    2. adb push VZW_Droid.mp3 /system/customize/resource/

13. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I can finally be rid of that horrible boot screen. Nothing worse than having to restart the phone several times... other than hating the booting process.

14. Skorpios1027

No problem. Glad I could contribute in some small part to the community that has given me so much already.

15. iiturnull

iiturnull New Member

Hey I found this while searching for the same thing. I think this is what you want.

https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat

16. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well-Known Member

Anytime you're in doubt of where the boot animation is located take a look in system/customize/CID/default.xml

There will be a section like:

<BootConfiguration>
    <BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/VZW_bootanimation.zip" audio="/system/customize/VZW_Droid.mp3" />
    </BootConfiguration>

It not only gives you the required file names, but if you edit them here you can make them whatever you'll remember instead. You can even change the path if you wish.

iowabowtech and A.Nonymous like this.
  17. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

This is extremely useful as I've found the location of the boot animation seems to change depending on what ROM I'm currently using.

To the OP, I'm curious if removing the boot animation improved your boot time at all. I don't think it would've, but I am honestly curious. In my mind it would just make you look at a blank screen while it's booting. I may be dead wrong on that though.

18. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Great tip mmolitor87.

19. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well-Known Member

Thanks, happy to contribute. I was having trouble finding out where the boot sound was in a ROM I was using so I started dissecting xml files.