• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing Custom ROMs?

HarshZigo

Lurker
May 2, 2012
An easy question for someone who knows better... Not sure when you're a N00B like me.

Last week I rooted my .902 Bionic, installed Safestrap, Backed up with Safestrap, Backed up with Titanium Backup and froze all my bloatware. I'm totally happy with my phone but now I've been bitten by the "make my phone even MORE kicka$$ and I'm looking to try custom ROMs.

1) Anyone have a recommendation for a ROM that'll give me longer battery life?

2) Let's say I decide I'm content with the stock ROM and want to remove the ROM on my safe side to free up space... I've found great instructions for installing custom ROMs and flashing different ROMs but nothing really about how to just delete the ROM on the safe side. It seems like all I'd need to do is

Verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup
Go to "mounts and storage" menu and format \system.
Wipe data/factory reset and also Wipe cache partition
Wipe dalvik cache
Reboot phone
Toggle to Non Safe side

Is that right?

An easy question for someone who knows better... Not sure when you're a N00B like me.

Last week I rooted my .902 Bionic, installed Safestrap, Backed up with Safestrap, Backed up with Titanium Backup and froze all my bloatware. I'm totally happy with my phone but now I've been bitten by the "make my phone even MORE kicka$$ and I'm looking to try custom ROMs.

1) Anyone have a recommendation for a ROM that'll give me longer battery life?

2) Let's say I decide I'm content with the stock ROM and want to remove the ROM on my safe side to free up space... I've found great instructions for installing custom ROMs and flashing different ROMs but nothing really about how to just delete the ROM on the safe side. It seems like all I'd need to do is

Verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup
Go to "mounts and storage" menu and format \system.
Wipe data/factory reset and also Wipe cache partition
Wipe dalvik cache
Reboot phone
Toggle to Non Safe side

Is that right?

The best rom for the bionic right now would have to be eclipse, I've been using it for a couple of months now and have no complaints. If you want you could go to droidhive.com and test out some of the ics roms but non of them are full proof yet. If you back up a rom and want to delete it just use something like es file explorer and delete the backups you made that you dont want. Just be careful not to delete your stock rom.

Upvote 0
That Guide still doesn't say how you can get rid of the SAFE SYSTEM Rom, I would think a data wipe would do so. Can anybody else help answer OP's question? As I am interested too

The guide was only a helpful link, since he is new to flashing ROMs.

New Rising already answered the OP's question with his post: " If you back up a rom and want to delete it just use something like es file explorer and delete the backups you made that you dont want. Just be careful not to delete your stock rom." That will clear up some space.

If you want to get rid of safestrap completely: go to unsafe side and uninstall recovery through safestrap app and then you could delete the whole safestrap folder on your system. However, your preinstall folder will still have the contents of your "safe" ROM. In order to fix that, you will have to reflash the preinstall.img. Safestrap uses your preinstall partition to flash the safe ROM and give you the dual boot option.
If you haven't flashed a ROM yet, copy all the preinstall files to a folder on your sdcard. That way you can restore your preinstall partition back to stock before you take the OTA.

Upvote 0
The guide was only a helpful link, since he is new to flashing ROMs.

New Rising already answered the OP's question with his post: " If you back up a rom and want to delete it just use something like es file explorer and delete the backups you made that you dont want. Just be careful not to delete your stock rom." That will clear up some space.

If you want to get rid of safestrap completely: go to unsafe side and uninstall recovery through safestrap app and then you could delete the whole safestrap folder on your system. However, your preinstall folder will still have the contents of your "safe" ROM. In order to fix that, you will have to reflash the preinstall.img. Safestrap uses your preinstall partition to flash the safe ROM and give you the dual boot option.
If you haven't flashed a ROM yet, copy all the preinstall files to a folder on your sdcard. That way you can restore your preinstall partition back to stock before you take the OTA.

Thanks for that! My question, that has yet to be answered elsewhere: What is the proper method for flashing the "preinstall partition.img" I have the .img file just not sure how to do it when the time comes.

Upvote 0
There are a few ways:
1. You could just replace the files in the preinstall folder with the stock files (if you have them or can get them).
2. You could use moto-fastboot to flash the preinstall.img (my preferred method)
3. You could use RSDlite to completely restore back to stock.

*The next OTA may not require you to do any of the above. We will have to wait and see what moto does.*

Upvote 0
There are a few ways:
1. You could just replace the files in the preinstall folder with the stock files (if you have them or can get them).
2. You could use moto-fastboot to flash the preinstall.img (my preferred method)
3. You could use RSDlite to completely restore back to stock.

*The next OTA may not require you to do any of the above. We will have to wait and see what moto does.*

Ok, so the preinstall.img would be flashed in fastboot, I would need to have that file on my sdcard correct?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones