• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

removing fbi virus

Sp13der

Lurker
Jul 2, 2014
Hello im brand new to all of this internet ,tablets ,androids malware etc... I have a really big problem,my nexus 7 (under a year old) has the fbi money pak virus (malware) on it... Ive researched removal tips but only find ways for a home computer,on my tablet i do not have f8 to keep pushing on . please if there is a way that wont cost me as much as it cost for the nexus itself to remove this nasty bug,please text me soon.... Thank u

All these answers sound great but im a novice n im not real sure what exactly im supposed to do. I will say this,when i tried to reboot all it does is ask( start,reboot
) and it says that its locked... it wont give me enough time to do anything like look at my apps,etc. Now someone mentioned that i mightve downloaded the host so to speak,n just before the virus took hold an antivirus app kept pestering me over n over telling me that my tab was in danger so for kicks i downloaded it n everything in it was .99 cents to purchase(ie battery,antivirus,security,clean cache,etc.) So instead of uninstalling i left it n cont my searching. I will need step by excrusiating step on how to rid of this in terms that a ten year old can understand,lol. Seriously cuz im not real familiar with all the lingo just yet. Thank u all for helping me,if someone can help me ill be forever grateful .
mbohlen

Upvote 0
You must have a Windows tablet, not an Android one. It's impossible for an Android tablet to get infected with the fbi moneypack virus or any virus actually. This is a Windows problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for a fix beyond a Google search for 'FBI moneypack on tablet' or similar for help. Be sure to include 'tablet' in your search to get relevant results.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
You must have a Windows tablet, not an Android one. It's impossible for an Android tablet to get infected with the fbi moneypack virus or any virus actually. This is a Windows problem.

This is what I have said that the android can't the windows tablets can but if u need a how to do a reset . look on the tablet you will see a small hole that will have a word of RESET on it you want to stick a paper clip hold down the button and count to 30 . that's. Correct 30sec and tablet will reset .

If you Dont see a reset just follow this video and post back if you need anything

Google Nexus 7 2013 Hard Factory Reset Bootloader

Reactions: Sp13der
Upvote 0
Its not a windows problem but thank u. Im trying to actually find a way to fix this problem without eracing the tablet of all its info,ive heard n read people that have this on their home comp n fix it no prob,but still have yet to hear from someone who had it on their nexus,please keep coming with the advice,hopefully someone out there can help me:(

Upvote 0
I have a nexus 7 tablet with this virus. There is no way to delete an app or clear the cache because u can't get past the virus on boot! All functions are disabled including safe mode.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b551/Tina7m/dbe6d3f5ee27270f08249fbe29876b67_zps987805e2.jpg

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b551/Tina7m/82ecbeb08c882faf2e626c3b0e5d60e9_zps37520010.jpg

Any chance the tablet is rooted?

Was it in your hands when this warning popped up, or a friend/family member/other?

Is there anything in particular on the tablet that is of extreme importance to you?

See if you can get the tablet into bootloader -

1. Press and hold the power button 10 to 15 seconds until it turns off.

2. Press and hold the volume down button. Do not stop pressing it.

3. While holding the volume down, press and hold the power button.

You should now see the Android mascot flat on his back and hatch open.

Upvote 0
Problem resolved: booted in safe mode, found malicious app named "adobe flash player" (no uninstall option) also no deactivate option when in settings>security>device administrators. Since the app has admin privileges it takes priority at boot which is why you can't get past it even with antivirus. I also tried using a file explorer with no success.

* Here's the link to the solution (Use option 2 at the bottom of the page). The app can only be removed remotely.
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/android-police-virus-removal/

Upvote 0
This is not the FBI virus, which affects only Windows. In fact, this is NOT actually a virus at all. It IS malware, which must be downloaded from a bogus site. Then you must choose to install it. Additionally, you must have 'Allow installation of apps from unknown sources' enabled in Android security settings to install it.

IOW, just be careful and use common sense.

Upvote 0
This is my 15 yr old son's tablet. I just recently discovered it & im not sure how long it's been on the device. I turned off the trusted sources option but there is no way to delete or disable the malware using the tablet itself. The mobile security & file explorer apps aren't accessible in safe mode & when booted normally, this thing is locked within 5 seconds & I didn't want to restore unless it was the only option.

Upvote 0
Hey, I have stupidly installed something that I downloaded from the internet thinking it was something else. When I start up my kindle everything seems normal at first and then after about 20 seconds the message comes up saying I have to pay $300 within 24 hours or I'll be sent to prison or something... Anyway I deleted the app that I installed but as I thought would happen the message still pops up. I have taken all the info out from the tablet that is valuable to me so I think a system format would be a good place to start. Although I'm unsure if that affects the system itself in anyway and if it would help. I cant install AVAST because I dont think its on kindle and I cant access the market anyways so I dont really know what to do.

I know I'ma dumbass but can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Hey, I have stupidly installed something that I downloaded from the internet thinking it was something else. When I start up my kindle everything seems normal at first and then after about 20 seconds the message comes up saying I have to pay $300 within 24 hours or I'll be sent to prison or something... Anyway I deleted the app that I installed but as I thought would happen the message still pops up. I have taken all the info out from the tablet that is valuable to me so I think a system format would be a good place to start. Although I'm unsure if that affects the system itself in anyway and if it would help. I cant install AVAST because I dont think its on kindle and I cant access the market anyways so I dont really know what to do.

I know I'ma dumbass but can anyone help?

This is not the kindle forum, its for nexus7(2013). But yes a factory reset should remove it. It will not affect the system in any negative way.

Upvote 0
my boyfriend just had the same thing on his galexy and i removed it by booting the phone into safe mode so that i could get to the settings i first had to figure out which app had caused the problem easy the last one he download. i i went app manager in settings but when i clicked on the malisious app the uninstall was greyed out so i could not choose uninstal till i figured out that app had made itself an administrater so in settings i went to the security setting and chose administraters and sure enough the app was there and had a check mark i clicked on the app in administrater took off the check mark went back into app manager chosing again the malisious app and this time the option to uninstal was lit up so i uninstalled the app and turned the phone off then backon an yep everything was back to normal and there was no more problems . so if you can figure out which recent app is the problem after booting up in safe mode im pretty sure even though there 2 different devices that the removal is basicalky the same no matter what the device just get the administraer powers awsy from the app and you then get control back let me know if this works for you just curious good luck and really dont do the reset its unnessissary something that looks si hard and everyone panicing its really an easy fix

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones