Removing Galaxy S BookmarkSupport

1. AndroidForMe

AndroidForMe Active Member

How do you remove that annoying Samsung Galaxy S bookmark? Is there a file to delete since you cannot remove it through the phone?

UPDATE:
    Go to browser. Go to bookmarks. See that one? Click on it. Enjoy what you see for the last time. Then go to bookmarks again. Click the last tab "history" on top. Find that galaxshelp entry in there, and it would have a yellow star to it, meaning that the history entry is bookmarked. Hit the star to un-bookmark. You are done.

credit: getDange

Advertisement
    :
  2. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

You mean the "Galaxy S Support" bookmark in the browser? Delete is just like any other bookmark - tap and hold, then pick "delete" from the pop up menu.
    The Cheese and SeriousBizznass like this.
  3. AndroidForMe

You get the pop up that says this bookmark cannot be deleted.
  4. getDange

Yes, I see. Well sucks then, must root I am guessing.
    The bookmark MIGHT BE helpful if something happens, I am not looking to delete it personally :)
  5. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

rooted or not, it does not come off easily. you cant even edit it. There is not much info on that bookmark...nothing you cant get from samsungs website
  6. DT

DT Well-Known Member

There's a SQL/Lite db for handling the native browser's bookmarks. When I get a chance later, I'll move it to my PC and see if it's stored with like some kind of status bit for "read only" or something. Should be a simple process to nuke it if it's stored like a regular user bookmark.
  7. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Gone. :D

Let me put together some instructions. It's basically like the permanent sideload mod, just a different database file. :)
  8. DT

DT Well-Known Member

OK, so just follow these instructions:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/124738-how-enable-sideloading-apps-captivate.html

but substitute these paths/files and database operations:

STEP 1 - GET DB FILE
    cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.browser/browser.db /sdcard/browser.db
    cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.browser/browser.db /sdcard/browser.db.backup
    adb pull /sdcard/browser.db %userprofile%\desktop

STEP 2 - ALTER DB FILE
    When you open the browser.db file, there's a bookmarks table, the first entry is that Galaxy S bookmark. In that row there's a column called 'bookmark', with a 0 (no/false) or 1 (yes/true) to indicate whether the item is a permanent bookmark. It's 1, set it for 0, OK out, save.

STEP 3 - COPY DB FILE BACK TO DEVICE
    adb push %userprofile%\desktop\browser.db /sdcard
    cp /sdcard/browser.db /dbdata/databases/com.android.browser
    chmod 777 /dbdata/databases/com.android.browser/browser.db

If you've done the allow non-AT&T apps, this should be a piece of cake.

As always, YMMV, I take no responsibility for damaged devices, etc.
  9. getDange

[DT] thanks man, but it is an overkill.
    You can remove that bookmark with this simple one step procedure that does not require rooting or db manipulation.
    Go to browser. Go to bookmarks. See that one? Click on it. Enjoy what you see for the last time. Then go to bookmarks again. Click the last tab "history" on top. Find that galaxshelp entry in there, and it would have a yellow star to it, meaning that the history entry is bookmarked. Hit the star to un-bookmark. You are done.
  10. AndroidForMe

Good job getDange! Very nice find...
  11. harryzwd

harryzwd Well-Known Member

fan f_cking tastic!
  12. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Awesome solution. See that's what happens when you ask an engineer a simple question! My alternate solution required disassembling the phone...

:D
    AndroidForMe likes this.
  13. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

THANK you for that tip! i had some strange russian bookmarks that i don't know where they came from and i couldn't edit or delete them.
  14. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

15. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

LMAO
    i have no idea why i found that funny but I did :D
  16. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Thread moved.
  17. ladyivory78

ladyivory78 Member

Thank you so much for posting this! I was looking everywhere to find how to delete, I love this forum!
  18. wesleywai

wesleywai New Member

I found an app called bookmark manager folder free to solve my similar problem
  19. azfirefreak

azfirefreak New Member

I couldn't find bookmarks in my browser, but I tried something else and it worked. I held the bookmark down until the garbage can showed up on the bottom of my page and drug the bookmark down to the garbage can.