1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Removing Google Hangouts?

1. van_Zeller

van_Zeller Member

Hello all,

I have an xperia mini pro (sk17i) that has very limited internal space. The new Google Hangouts app takes up 20+ MBs, so I'd like to remove it. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
    :
  2. brownchm

brownchm Well-Known Member

If its a system app then you will have to root to unistall it
  3. Droidunited

Droidunited Well-Known Member

I would keep Google Hangouts on your phone and just not use it for now. You may find yourself wanting to use it in the future though, as its popularity is growing and will become an essential form of communication and social media, very much like facebook is today.
  4. van_Zeller

van_Zeller Member

I have root. But I was under the impression that hangouts replaced talk and talk was a part of gmail. Is this correct?
  5. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic! Guide

Not sure about that. However....

If you are rooted, try installing Titanium Backup and freeze Hangouts to see how the phone reacts to that. If everything is cool, uninstall it with TB.
  6. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Well-Known Member

Yes they are connected. If you have Hangouts active you can not be invisible on gmail. I just stay logged out of hangouts for now. Need to learn much more about it.
  7. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

And you were smoking what when you typed that????? :confused: :confused: Explain to me how, if Faceplant and Google Doughnuts stopped working tomorrow, we wouldn't be able to communicate?

Dave
    AngelArs and Ariesdroid like this.
  8. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

Sadly, today a lot of people cannot communicate without some form of Social Media or SMS.
  9. Droidunited

Sorry about the late response. I must have Facebook and Google hangouts to connect with my family and friends. For some of them it truly is the only way. Welcome to the new digital world, where the line between virtual and reality becomes blurred.
  10. Ariesdroid

Ariesdroid Member

hahahahaha... i just spit tea all over my phone.. thx..

but yea keep me up to date on this.. I never use hangouts either and never used google talk either... the only reason i havent deleted it is cause its like the chat of gmail so i figured it would probably mess som ething up if i deleted it... I want to delete it too tho... lol
  11. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Bit off topic but i just introduced my Blackberry using wife to google+ and then hangouts. Her on the laptop, me on the phone. Sitting right next to eachother and everything was almost instantaneous. The video chat thing blew her mind and she now agrees to go back to android :thumbup::thumbup: nice one Google :beer:
  12. Seanette

Seanette Well-Known Member

I managed to weed it off my Triumph (which was a lot harder than I think it should have been), and the phone and my Gmail are both behaving fine.

You'll need to uninstall updates first, which should revert Hangouts to Talk. Then you'll need to use some root-level uninstaller (your choice).
  13. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

You are on a phone for heaven's sake. Make a call in person!
    We are on the way to Asimov's Solaria!

I just deleted Google Talk number. Never used it. I do use Viber on the phone. I can talk and text with kid in the UK.
  14. Droidunited

Just spoke with my family back in Florida on Google Hangouts :) Very glad I still have it on my phone :D
  15. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Never had Hangouts - refuse to join or post. Did remove Google Talk since I deleted phone number. It was frozen with TB anyway. So is Gmail. I use Aquamail and POP3 on the phone, and Thunderbird on the computer.
    I haven't been on a Gmail page in a couple of months. I only go to check and make sure no preferences have been changed.

Only person I want to bother with is in the UK and Viber works for that. The rest of us email.
  16. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

He said it may be any ''essential'' form of communication. That doesn't you cannot communicate at all.
  17. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Only essential if you have chosen to make those your normal means of communication. I use neither, get by just fine without.

I sympathise with the OP thouh - my old phone was always struggling for space, and Hangouts is an order of magnitude larger than talk. I refused ever to accept that update. But as with any other IT platform, the general bloating of apps is a feature of Android.