Removing Icons From Home Screen Task BarGeneral

Last Updated: 2013-10-09 14:32:21
  1. mapleleaf-mick

mapleleaf-mick Well-Known Member

I don't want a number of the icons that came with my Tablet. There are five on the task bar and I would like to change them all. I have tried numerous things to try and delete them. I can't drag them off the task bar to the delete bin. I can't move them at all.

Thanks for reading my post.

regards

Michael J.

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Discussed multiple times here - not possible.
    mapleleaf-mick likes this.
  3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I no longer have mine, but does changing the launcher get rid of them?
  4. Szadzik

Nope.
    breadnatty08 and mapleleaf-mick like this.
  5. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Too bad we can't simply turn off the taskbar. I have no use for a taskbar that requires 2 taps to launch an app when I can have the same app on my homescreen and use 1 tap to launch it...duh.
    :hmpf:
  6. mapleleaf-mick

mapleleaf-mick Well-Known Member

bfksc, I am in a hundred % agreement. I would love to get rid of the task bar or at least put the apps that I want on it. Really stupid oversight.
  7. psychodaddyo

psychodaddyo New Member

I found a way to change and/or remove tray (taskbar?) icons. Please bear with me since I'm old and may not know the correct terminology. This method has worked for me on an HTC HD2 with android and 3 different ROMs on my Tmo Galaxy S2.
    1. Click on applications
    2. Click on Menu
    3. Click on View Type
    4. Click on Customizable Grid
    5. Click on Menu again.
    6. Click on Edit.
    You should now be on a screen with resized icons in tray and homepage. Long press and hold the icon you want to change and just push it out of the way. Similar to adding apps to your homepage. If you want to add a favorite app to the taskbar just long press and drag it to the tray. Once you have removed or added the icons you want, hit the back button and then the menu button again. Click on Save. Hope it works out for you. It's really pretty simple once you attempt it.
  8. Szadzik

I think you are not talking about the Samsung Touchwiz bar the OP was trying to remove.
  9. Docjoque

Docjoque New Member

PERFECT! It's been driving me crazy since the new OS update. This worked perfectly. Thanks.
  10. andrewpm

andrewpm Member

Thank you! I was trying to figure out to remove the standard messaging app because i use ChompSMS. I was able to put it there instead...
  11. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

The ability to customize the TaskBar and QuickLaunch items came with the ICS build months ago. However, the TaskBar still can not be removed, it can only be customized with various apps. I would like the option to disable the TaskBar completely as I don't use it.

FYI - the QuickLaunch for the 'screen shot' can be changed or removed via the Settings, Display menu.
  12. Teknoshamn

Teknoshamn New Member

Thank you, Psycho! I've been looking for this particular hint since I bought my phone a month ago... This did the trick and I was able to edit what icons appear on my quick launch bar...
  13. Zibudizz

Zibudizz Member

Hello,

I'm on Galaxy Player Android 2.3. I don't see "Menu" in the applications... Any help?
    Thanks!