• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Removing Icons From Home Screen Task Bar

I found a way to change and/or remove tray (taskbar?) icons. Please bear with me since I'm old and may not know the correct terminology. This method has worked for me on an HTC HD2 with android and 3 different ROMs on my Tmo Galaxy S2.
1. Click on applications
2. Click on Menu
3. Click on View Type
4. Click on Customizable Grid
5. Click on Menu again.
6. Click on Edit.
You should now be on a screen with resized icons in tray and homepage. Long press and hold the icon you want to change and just push it out of the way. Similar to adding apps to your homepage. If you want to add a favorite app to the taskbar just long press and drag it to the tray. Once you have removed or added the icons you want, hit the back button and then the menu button again. Click on Save. Hope it works out for you. It's really pretty simple once you attempt it.

Reactions: mapleleaf-mick
Upvote 0
I found a way to change and/or remove tray (taskbar?) icons. Please bear with me since I'm old and may not know the correct terminology. This method has worked for me on an HTC HD2 with android and 3 different ROMs on my Tmo Galaxy S2.
1. Click on applications
2. Click on Menu
3. Click on View Type
5. Click on Menu again.
6. Click on Edit.
You should now be on a screen with resized icons in tray and homepage. Long press and hold the icon you want to change and just push it out of the way. Similar to adding apps to your homepage. If you want to add a favorite app to the taskbar just long press and drag it to the tray. Once you have removed or added the icons you want, hit the back button and then the menu button again. Click on Save. Hope it works out for you. It's really pretty simple once you attempt it.

I think you are not talking about the Samsung Touchwiz bar the OP was trying to remove.

Reactions: mapleleaf-mick
Upvote 0
1. Click on applications
2. Click on Menu
3. Click on View Type
5. Click on Menu again.
6. Click on Edit.

PERFECT! It's been driving me crazy since the new OS update. This worked perfectly. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thank you! I was trying to figure out to remove the standard messaging app because i use ChompSMS. I was able to put it there instead...
The ability to customize the TaskBar and QuickLaunch items came with the ICS build months ago. However, the TaskBar still can not be removed, it can only be customized with various apps. I would like the option to disable the TaskBar completely as I don't use it.

FYI - the QuickLaunch for the 'screen shot' can be changed or removed via the Settings, Display menu.

Upvote 0
1. Click on applications
2. Click on Menu
3. Click on View Type
5. Click on Menu again.
6. Click on Edit.

Thank you, Psycho! I've been looking for this particular hint since I bought my phone a month ago... This did the trick and I was able to edit what icons appear on my quick launch bar...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones