1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Removing secondary Gmail account - will it affect paid apps?

Last Updated:

1. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I originally setup my Droid with my Google Apps account as primary. A few months ago I decided to buy a paid app in the Market and couldn't do so using my Google Apps account. Reluctantly, I added my Google Account as a secondary account on my phone, which allowed me to purchase apps in the Market.

Now that I can finally use Google Checkout with my Google Apps account, I would like to remove my Google Account from my phone, since I'm tired of being prompted to select an account each time I create a new contact.

Will removing my secondary account affect apps that are already installed? What about when updates become available for these apps in the Market?

Advertisement
  2. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

They still show purchased for me. I had a similar scenario where I initially set my phone's primary Google account to my Google apps account, but had to add an actual Gmail account for Google Voice and App Purchases.

After Google Apps account got out of "Red Headed Step Child" Mode, I decided that I was willing to repurchase my apps because I wanted to redo my phone with only my apps account. I had looked for a way to transfer apps from one checkout to another or any other way to be sure I could re-download my paid apps w/o success.

To my surprise, even with only my single user@mydomain.com account setup, the apps I bought from my user@gmail.com account show as purchased and can be installed w/o repurchasing them.

Some Notes:
    One difference, is I didn't just remove my gmail.com account, I did a comlete reset and never added the gmail.com account back. Not sure if that makes any difference or not. Also this was after I was on Android 2.2 (which I believe backs up your purchases somehow and allows this to work.)

YMMV but it worked for me.

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Your Market is tied to the MAIN gmail account, ie the one you entered when you first got the phone. Any accounts you add after that are strictly for email and syncing contacts and stuff.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just to be clear... the app purchase is tied to the main account regardless of what account the payment actually came from?

If so, this is a big relief. Had I known this I probably would have purchased a few more apps, or at least the market version of app that are also available off-market.

5. Dmtalon

Same for me,

I was holding off on purchases because I figured I was going to 1) have to deal with trying to get refunds from the app developer, or 2) just repurchasing them again.

I was quite happy when they showed up as purchased after I did a factory reset and only using my apps account.

6. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Hmmm, well I'm not sure then. From what I have tried, I can only make payments from my first main gmail account. I didnt know there was a way to make payments from a secondary account. In that case, I would have to think that apps purchased with that account would be tied to that account.

7. Dmtalon

I believe this probably happened because the first GOOGLE account couldn't sign in to Google checkout so it forced you to use an account that could. I'm just guessing though...

In my case when I tried to purchase an app, it had me log into my checkout account which then failed because Checkout didn't work with Apps accounts, but at that time it let me sign in using my @gmail account. Then once Google started converting Apps accounts over to full (or nearly full) accounts, I worried about getting those purchases to my Apps account.