• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing stock apps with Root Explorer

Followed your instructions. (I'm rooted and using TouchWiz) I moved several .apk and matching .odex files to a /Backups/Deleted Apps folder on my sdcard, but the icons for those apps still show up in the app drawer. It's a grey icon with an SD symbol on it and when I tap it, it says "Application is not installed on your phone." How can I fix this?

Upvote 0
Cheers for that info Jack 321.
I removed some stock apps this way !only thing when I open up settings>applications into manage all apps ,the deleted ones are still displayed but with a sd card next to them + size ,but icons black too ? Is this because there was some uncleared data before deleting ?
Also do you name of lg app advisor to delete ,& how can do a proper uninstall opposed to delete ? allgood thanks again

Upvote 0
Followed your instructions. (I'm rooted and using TouchWiz) I moved several .apk and matching .odex files to a /Backups/Deleted Apps folder on my sdcard, but the icons for those apps still show up in the app drawer. It's a grey icon with an SD symbol on it and when I tap it, it says "Application is not installed on your phone." How can I fix this?
Really late answer, but maybe someone else will have the same question. I haven't had this issue myself, but you MAY be able to remove the icon by going to MENU-Settings-Applications-Manage applications and look for those apps there. Select them and choose Uninstall.

I notice when I go in to delete my bloatware that I have 2 of everything - one has .apk and one has .odex - do I delet both?
Delete both .apk and .odex. Or see below.
I deleted the suggested apps and now when I take a picture, it won't save in my gallery - HELP.
Do you have a Gallery (Can you pull up pictures outside of the Camera)? If not, be advised that there are 2 apks called "Camera". You MAY have deleted one of them. 1 is the camera, 1 is the gallery app. I don't understand the naming either.

Your best bet, and something you should do anyway since you're rooted, is install the stock DJ07 deodexed file through 3.1.1 Recovery. All of the apps will be back, but you'll be able to save pics again. The DJ07 deodexed combines the apks into a single file, making them easier to delete, and making your phone themable (check sdx forums for themes). I usually delete the apps through the file browser in Recovery.

Check this thread for all needed files:
http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/255644-samsung-moment-root.html#post3150966

Upvote 0
I know this is obvious but ...
***Please proceed at your own risk***

I am new to this (less than a week) and I removed everything with root explorer (and it was so simple).
You can get it from the market.
I would recommend it if you are not used to linux commands.
It was well worth the two dollars for me.

The main thing to know is r/w (read/write) vs. r/o (read only).
It is just as it says - r/o will only let you read files, while r/w will let you read AND write files (which includes move and delete).

Your phone needs to be rooted for this to work!
After all, we are in the "All things root section".

Here's what I did:
  1. remove sd card from phone and use pc to create new folder on sd card - "deleted" or you can use Astro to do this
  2. put sd card back in phone
  3. open root explorer
  4. It works like windows - the apps are in system>app
  5. find the app you want to remove (start with bejeweled)
  6. make sure the top text says "Mounted as r/w" (press the grey rectangle if it doesn't)
  7. long press the app and select "move"
  8. select menu>home
  9. now go to sd card>deleted instead of system>app
  10. you will see "paste" on the bottom - press it
  11. repeat as necessary

I did it this way because I wanted to maintain copies.
You could just delete rather than move.
You can also remove any .odex files of the same name.
Please do a search if you want to know which apps to remove or what their names are.

I hope this helps! :D

Hi ,

First of all thank you very much for your great tutorial. I was successfully moved some of the applications from System/Application from My Micromax A57 to the SD Card/Deleted folder. When I press back button. I got a shock. All the screen became blank :( . There are no icons and there is nothing to click.

When I Hold + press the home key, I got recent application options then I am able to see the Mange running applications. But when i go back. there is nothing except blank screen.

When the phone locks, it shows the Lock/unlock screen window. I am also able to getting messages and phone calls but the problem is there is no Icons and no screens.

Can anyone Explain please.. this seems a serious problem.

PS: I tried to reset the phone but there is no luck :(

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Arjun

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones