Removing stock messaging app

Last Updated:

1. richb82

richb82 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can this app be completely removed without affecting how I receive messages with Handcent? For some reason, I'm getting notifications now for both Handcent and Messaging. Not sure why, just started happening out of nowhere, and it's annoying. I just cleared the data from the app and made sure to set the notification settings so I'm not supposed to get them, but alas it's still happening. I'm wondering if I can remove the app to stop the stupid notifications. If not, I guess I'll just go with a fresh install of my current ROM and start from scratch.

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I am not 100% sure, but I feel quite confident this would result in negative consequences.

Couple ideas are to recheck one more time the stock app settings to be absolutely sure you're not set to receive notifications. I know you did this and along with clearing data, you should have it covered...just sayin b/c actually clearing the data may have set it back to default which might allow the reciept of notifications.

Another thought is to restore a recent Nandroid backup if you have one with your current Rom/kernel setup (when all was well).

Finally, if you have a Titanium backup of the stock messaging app along with perhaps even the Handcent app that predates the issue, you could try restoring both of them with the earlier glitch free versions.

3. richb82

Mingya, wtf is going on. I just did a fresh wipe and install of the newest Redemptive ROM, and got the same thing. So I did a fresh install of Handcent after uninstalling and wiping the data from the version I had backed up and installed, and I'm still getting that stupid notification! Ugh, what a pain.

Anyone got any ideas how to completely disable this notification? :(

4. iowabowtech

Well, I kinda figured you already did this but if you open the stock messaging program then go to menu > settings and uncheck "received notification" it should gray out everything underneath it too for sound/vibe. At that point you should only be getting the Hancent notifications.

5. richb82

Yeah I did that, and for some reason it's overpowering what I want it to do. I feel like I'm running iOS right now lol :p

6. iowabowtech

I see what you mean. You didn't by chance try out an alternate messaging program lately and forget about it? Like something other than stock or Handcent? Man that's odd.

7. richb82

Yeah nothing else on there, I've been using Handcent since a few days after I got the phone in July and haven't looked back. I just can't figure this out for the life of me! I do have a Nandroid from a week or so before it started happening, I think maybe tonight I'll throw that on to see if it still does it. I'm stumped :(

8. bdrayer

bdrayer Member

Hey guys....I had that same issue and actually went through and deleted my stock messaging. Now i am having issues with getting MMS on handcent for some reason, so I am wondering if there is a way to get the stock messaging back? Any ideas?

thanks,
    Brett