1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Swype from Samsung Galaxy S

Last Updated:

1. zoo5174

zoo5174 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a samsung Galaxy S, I want to remove Swype...I dont like, just want my old plane keyboard back.

I have tried everything to remove......can someone help me please??

Thanks

z

Advertisement
  2. Damien

Damien Active Member

Select input method by long pressing in a text box, select any other input method. Then go to
    Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>menu>filter>downloaded>swype>uninstall and reboot.. report your findings to us

I wonder if it's not letting you uninstall because it is still selected as the input method..

-Damien

3. Damien

Damien Active Member

shoot.. just realized you aren't on the Incredible.. sorry.. layout map should be somewhat the same.. Good luck!

-Damien

4. zoo5174

zoo5174 Member This Topic's Starter

I can now see the app, but there is no option to intall or uninstall this app

5. Boredfatman

Boredfatman Active Member

you mention that you wish to use the normal keyboard.

Therefore, can you not just select an alternative keyboard, (by holding down a long press etc as suggested above), and let Swype sit there unused? It wont interfere if you are not using it....

6. gerberman

gerberman Well-Known Member

As said above no need to uninstall swype,touch and hold text box till EDIT TEXT menu comes up press INPUT METHOD and chose SAMSUNG KEYPAD ....no more swype

7. Labcat42

Labcat42 New Member

Although I prefer totally different keyboard, I have to go in and uncheck swype on a regular basis as it continues to start it self. I have tried to remove from application manger but it isn't even listed, so need to know how to get it off my phone.

8. hiredgun

hiredgun Well-Known Member

If you can't uninstall an app, you can usually have the option to disable it, which is the next best thing. You go in through your app manager and select the app in question and should be able to tick off "disable" and Swype shouldn't give you any more grief unless you activate it again.

9. Saladnut

Saladnut New Member

I am having the same issue. I love SwiftKey. Suddenly today Swype constantly comes up. I turn it off in the input options, and it turns right back on. There is some update that happened today that also started popping up a Google search screen every time I used the home key. I got that resolved but cannot find a way to turn off Swype. It is not listed in the apps. If Google continues this, I'll go back to an iPhone. Highly frustrated!

10. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator Moderator

What device? Let me know and we can see if anyone else is experiencing this issue after receiving the update. :thumbsupdroid:

11. hiredgun

hiredgun Well-Known Member

Very odd that it's not listed in apps, have you tried looking in "input method" under settings? I can't believe it's not listed anywhere on the phone!