Removing Words From Dictionary..?

Last Updated:

1. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen a few posts about this, but i wanted to ask again and see if anything new has come up.

I'm happy with my USER dictionary, because i check it every couple days to make sure there's no crazy stuff in there that will pop up while typing.

However, i would really like to be able to edit the dictionary that comes on the Hero. The biggest gripe i have is that EVERY time i type "the" it replaces it with "Tue"

Wouldn't the dictionary be a file on the phone? Seems like you should be able to edit it after rooting, no?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Firehawk

Firehawk Well-Known Member

they added this feature in 2.1. If you are still running 1.5 you have to clear your entire dictionary. Your best bet is to download and install android 2.1.

Then you need to go into settings>language & keyboard>touch input>user dictionary

hope this helps

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

I think he was asking how do you edit it in 2.1 then, unless I mis read

4. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Yes, 2.1 is the way to go. Outside of maybe BlueTooth issues, there really is no reason that I could see any Hero being on 1.5

That said, you don't even need to goto settings>etc... Just next time you type and keyboard comes up, hit the TOOL key and the Dictionary is in there, edit what you want on the fly while typing... :D

Happy Trails!
    :cool:

5. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member

I'm running the XDA keyboard. Seems like settings>language & keyboard only has the words I added when using the built-in keyboard.

And, I don't have a "tools" function when the keyboard pops up.

Any advice for editing the dictionary for those of using XDA Keyboard?

Eph

6. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I haven't tried it, but there are export and import commands listed way at the bottom of the settings found here: settings/language & keyboard/touch input (or it might say HTC ime). I'm thinking you could export it, edit and import it back, it says it will save as a .txt file.

7. DonB

I think the tool key is when a suggested word comes up there should be a drop down arrow to the right, hit that, I believe that gives you the options

8. Sixxx

Maybe i didn't explain myself properly. I'm talking about the default dictionary that comes ON the hero, not the user defined words that i've put in there myself.

The words that come in the dictionary straight from the factory. Does that make better sense? I want to be able to edit that file. I'm running Fresh 2.1.2.

I just figured with the ability to remove the sprint bloat ware and everything else then someone must have figured out where the default dictionary is and have found a way to edit it.

9. Sixxx

Woohoo. I switched to Smartkeyboard pro and it's a million times better. Finally found a keyboard i liked, i never liked the "betterkeyboard" or shapewriter. Hooray!

10. DonB

11. Sixxx

I'll do you one better :D

Attached Files: