Renaming Clockwork Mod Backup

Last Updated:

1. xkingofgodzx

xkingofgodzx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can you rename clockwork mod backups? Backups display the date and time of the backup but i want to rename them what roms they are. can i do this or will it mess up my backups?

Advertisement
  2. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

You can give them any name you want when it is created by changing it in the popup.

If you change it after it is created it will give you a checksum error when you try to use it. However, if you change it back to the original name then it will work fine. So, if you want to rename existing ones I would just append something to the end so you can rename it back by removing the append before you use it.

xkingofgodzx likes this.
  3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

Be careful though, there are a few characters taht cannot be used. Do things like this

skyradier123

skyradier_123

no " " spaces
    sky raider = no go

xkingofgodzx likes this.
  4. ufjay5

ufjay5 Member

I renamed my backups and then tried to reflash and got the error message that MD5 sum did not match. I do not remember what the original name was (still have date attached but deleted the other characters). Am I screwed or is there a way to recover the old name?

Can you tell that I am a newb?

5. CramRazz

CramRazz Guest

Theres a rename option within ROMManager (Manage & Restore ROMs) that allows this. It won't let you use an invalid name.

6. ufjay5

ufjay5 Member

Is there a way to go into the file of the backup to find the time that it was made so I can change the name back to the original? I am having a hard time doing this.

7. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

yeah rommanager works well at renaming the file.

8. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

FYI...

What I typically do is put the initials of the rom after the date/time and have not had an issue yet.

Ex.
    (For my Redemptive Rom)
    2010-12-28-22.36.35 RR

(For my Cyanogen Mod)
    2010-12-05-11.04.49 CM

etc...

Again, I've never had an issue!

9. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Just an fyi with the new clockwork recovery is that it may take up to 10 minutes when restoring a nand( when checking md5)

10. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

I think a few others have tried to state this but I ran into this problem the first time I tried to rename a backup. Don't worry about what the original file name was, who could remember that anyways? Just rename to something very simple without spaces or special characters and try to restore it. As long as nothing else was changed you should get a MD5 match and it load:)

11. Chubb's Hand

Chubb's Hand Member

I can confirm that if you have spaces in the new name you will get an md5 mismatch and will not be able restore the backup. I ran into this problem this week when i boot looped while flashing a theme. I couldnt restore but luckily i could flash a new rom over top and save my phone.