RepaIr Stock Browser...

Last Updated:

1. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

I stupidly removed Stock Browser from from front page and App Drawer. I have it in Setting icon in App section. Just wanna repair it to use it. Thx

Advertisement
  2. Italo

Italo Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Are you using a third party launcher that allows for hiding icons from the app tray? If so, you should be able to look at the "hidden" apps and restore them to the app tray.
  3. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

Nope i am using 0 launchers right now..
  4. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Ok, what did you do to delete the browser from the app drawer?

Usually you need to delete from System / Applications / Browser - Uninstall.

Is this how you did it?

If not you should be able to place the app back on your homescreen. Press and hold a spot on your home screen from here select the apps tab, then look to see if your browser is there. If not, we may need to find the .apk from a stock rom, and side load.

Please go under Settings / About / and post back your android version. In the mean time I'm going to alert some folks to help out. :)
  5. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

It would help us greatly to know which device you have so we can better point you in the right direction.
    LilBit likes this.
  6. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

K i have Transformer Infinity. And i did what you said to uninstall it. My Android vers. Is 4.1.1. Let me know anything later
  7. Granite1

That browser wasn't part of the OS then. It can't be stored in the /System partition or you wouldn't have been able to delete it from the Applications menu.

I think we are going to need to find and download the stock Rom for this device and extract the .apk then load with Estrongs or equivalent file manager app. Otherwise download a new browser from the Play store, like Boat Browser.

I'm still out with my kids, sneaking a peek in while mobile. I appreciate your patience. :)
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

You mentioned you were on Android 4.1.x which allows you to disable system apps. Is this what you did? If so, you should be able to go to Settings | Apps | All | Browser and just click the enable button.
    Granite1 and palmtree5 like this.
  9. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

I checked there. No enable or disable it says 0.0B ?
  10. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

All info i see it has no file size. In File/Manager i found System/App/Browser .apk but it does not finish installing. Let me know what i can try to do now.
  11. Granite1

Sorry it took so long, been really busy. :eek:

I downloaded the latest stock rom for your device and extracted the Browser.apk from the file. All you need to do is download this file, place on your SD card, or directly on the internal storage. Use a file manager app like Estrongs or Astro file manager, find the app, select it and choose to install. That "should" be it. The app is attached.

Let us know if this works. :)

Attached Files:

nesh70 and Unforgiven like this.
  12. Granite1

It depends on what you did to download the file to your tablet.

If you downloaded to your PC, then transfered to the tablet via USB, then it will be in the internal memory in the main folder.

If you opened a browser on the tablet, then it will most likely be found in a downloads folder found in the internal memory, or sometimes found under a folder with the same name as the browser.

Example: If I download a file on my phone using Maxthon Browser, I need to navigate to the folder folowing this path: SD / Maxthon / Downloads

I personally use Estrongs File manager, and I suggest you get it from the Play Store. it's really easy to use, and works great. :)

Open Estrongs, and it'll automatically open to the main internal memory partition and display the contents. You can also do a search of the device using the app. Select the magnifying glass on the top of the main screen and type in Browser.apk. Select the third dropdown box and select "ALL" for file type, and then select "OK".

Lastly, I'm going to copy the contents of this message and post it up in your help thread. I really like to have this type of info posted out in the forum for the whole community to read and benefit from. :)

If you have any trouble, just let us know. We won't stop until we get this figured out. :)

Granite1
    DerekJZ likes this.
  13. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

Found and put Browser.apk in Tablet. Try. To install it stops. And says App not install. What next?
  14. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

Still waiting on next thing to try. Just waiting.
  15. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

What about a completely different browser such as Boat Browser? Available in the Play Store?
    Or am I completely misunderstanding what you need?
  16. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

Trying to get Stock Browser back. Does the Boat Browser has a color invert option?
  17. Mikestony

Sorry, not sure what "color invert option" is :confused: in a browser.
  18. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

The iOS has a White and Black mode which helps me out alot.
  19. Mikestony

Ah, gotcha....I looked thru Boat Browser settings and did not see one.
    Perhaps another browser from the Play Store would. ?
  20. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Taking a shot in the dark here, is allowing install of unknown sources checked? Settings>security>unknown sources
  21. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

I am able to install. Ima take a video and send to you soon.
  22. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

This a quick video. I use Linda File Manager install the Browser and next is the Bowser in Settings. Let me know if you anymore info. Later
  23. DerekJZ

DerekJZ Member

Let me know if link works for you.
  24. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Link not working for me, drop box?