repeated loss of data connectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. pseudoprime

pseudoprime Member This Topic's Starter

I keep having this problem with my Moment where it will refuse to do data connections. Sometimes rebooting helps, sometimes it doesn't. It happened three times today, and I was ready to throw my phone out the car window. It's happened on and off since I got the phone 2 months ago. I hoped it would go away after I updated to 2.1, but no dice. My wife, who doesn't use the phone as heavily, doesn't have these problems. Some days (like today) it seems worse than others.

Any advice? I see scattered forum posts about "evdo lockup" and "cdma lockup", but no real idea of how to diagnose what the problem is, and more importantly, whether it's worth taking it back to Sprint and trying to get them to do somethin.

Advertisement
  2. SYclops07

SYclops07 Member

I am having the same issue with my moment. Can anyone help us out?

3. SYclops07

SYclops07 Member

Ok...I just called sprint and they made some system changes on their end...required me to pull the battery, go into phone settings and update my profile. I'll let you know if issues persist.

4. htcman724

htcman724 Well-Known Member

the lock up is here for now but if your having it happen more than every now and then i would take it to sprint and have it replaced.

5. edp

edp Well-Known Member

data lock up is very common on these phones (though luckily, my phone works). but if you haven't already, you can also try going to settings-mobile networks-and setting it to home only. when i flashed over to 2.1, i would get occasional data locks, but that resolved my issues

6. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

I haven't had the data lose issues, but my phone does lose total service with Sprint every once in a while. I guess it's the air plane bug or something.

7. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

It's known as "The Airplane Mode Bug".

It happens on ALL Samsung Moments, it's a hardware defect. Return it if your in your 30 days, or just bitch to Sprint until they give you an intercept.

8. jasonamd

jasonamd Well-Known Member

All Moments? Have you asked EVERYONE that has one? I'm going on nearly 300 hours of uptime on mine. There may be a hardware defect and there may not...no one knows for sure. What has become clear though is that IF all Moments have this issue there has to be something specific that triggers it because not everyone is having the problem. I have 2 friends with the Moment and neither of them have had this issue either. All 3 of us are pretty heavy users.

9. IOWA

Turn WiFi on and browse the web. Then turn wifi off, and browse. That triggers the lockup.

-Large amounts of data transfer also trigger a data lockup.

Yes, all Moments are affected by this bug.

10. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

Try tethering and streaming video. You will get it once you try using large enough amounts of data.

I used to get it just streaming YouTube in HD.

11. mattbatt

mattbatt Member

This happens to me on my moment all the time. It happened 3 times today and I wasn't even using the data at the time. I just pulled the phone out and tried to search the market and had no data. Who knows if someone was trying to call during that time. I'm going to try the suggestion above of only home networks and see if that works. Since sprint is the only one using their flavor of CDMA who would I be roaming too?

12. jasonamd

jasonamd Well-Known Member

I don't believe tethering and YouTube in HD are officially supported on the moment....
    I've streamed regular youtube videos just fine and had iheartradio streaming for a couple hours with no problem. I can reproduce the lockup by using wifi but since I know it causes it I don't really ever use it and if I do I will reboot the phone when done.

13. IOWA

You tube in HD is officially supported on the moment, and ALL android phones that have the youtube app. (not really HD, is HQ btw)

14. SoulTerror

This does not always happen. I have been playing with it the last couple days and not been able to lock it up. Every time mine does lock up is at night while it's on the charger and I'm sleeping.

15. Knight717

Knight717 Member

It happens to mine as well... I use a lot of Data using Pandora... (better than iheartradio imho) It is a problem with the phones... Usually a reboot fixes it.

16. IOWA

It seems to be completely random, but the issue remains none the less.

17. SoulTerror

I agree it's an issue. I was just commenting on the using wifi to browse, then not, then browsing again causing the lock up did not work for me.

18. SYclops07

SYclops07 Member

Hey guys...just wanted to give you alittle update after the initial problem. Like I said in an earlier post I called sprint and they did something on their end...I just needed to reset my profile.

Since that time, I have only had data lock once...switching to airpplane mode and back resolved that issue. Much happier...whatever they did!

19. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

But that's it- that should never happen, and one day it's going to and the Airplane Mode hack won't fix it, and you'll have to either reboot or pull your battery, depending on how bad it locks up.

Samsung really dropped the ball on this one. :(

20. mattbatt

mattbatt Member

I wish there was a radio reset app for the phone. Ive done the PRL update hack and gotten the phone to reset the radio and all was well. That worked twice and hasn't since.

Can someone make a CDMA radio reset widget or app or something.

It amazes me when it happens. There is no pattern one day I can stream a football game to my phone for 2 hours the next it locks up watching Youtube! It's infuriating. The only thing I've found that mellows out the problem in Opera. Since Opera mini sends the phone less data when visiting a site it is less likely to lock up CDMA.