• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Repeating alarms for Calendar Events

bthoward

Nov 7, 2009
Any one know of a way to make a calendar event reminder repeat until the user cancels the reminder. Such that if I have a meeting and if I miss the first time that the notification goes off (I'm usually in vibrate only or I use very short very high frequency tones) I'd like the tone to repeat at regular intervals (say every 1 or 2 minutes) until I acknowledge that I'm heading to the meeting. Anyone have an idea for anything like that?

Blackberry didn't do this by default either and there was a WONDERFUL app called BerryBuzz that would allow you to customize notifications to the hilt. In other words different LED colors for each email account or for text messages (or whatever else you could think of) and you could not only have a different sound for them but when the repeating alarm went off you could also individually configure that alarm. Something like this would be really awesome if there was a similar app on Android.

hi--just got the Samsung Epic 4G--Question: (analog guy in a digital world)--are your notifications all modifiable as to repetitions and also can they make the "event" "pop-up" just like the SMS pop-up stuff does? Also--does it work inside the Google Calendar and can it also be somehow integrated into DejaOffice Calendar? I populated that standalone from CompanionLink from my Palm Desktop and it allows ALL the fields etc from the sync but since the Android doesn't support/have the repeated alarms like the Palm software did I need some improvements. ????

Upvote 0
hi--just got the Samsung Epic 4G--Question: (analog guy in a digital world)--are your notifications all modifiable as to repetitions and also can they make the "event" "pop-up" just like the SMS pop-up stuff does? Also--does it work inside the Google Calendar and can it also be somehow integrated into DejaOffice Calendar? I populated that standalone from CompanionLink from my Palm Desktop and it allows ALL the fields etc from the sync but since the Android doesn't support/have the repeated alarms like the Palm software did I need some improvements. ????

Ditto. Using Deja, Companionlink and Act. Looking for: different tones and volumes for things like as incoming SMS versus a calendared event. Looking for the calendared event to repeat a number of times in case I don't hear the first alarm.

Upvote 0
There is a package called Gemini Calendar on the Market. Its free, but does have a "Donate" pop-up that you see from time to time. It is a great calendar replacement and has much better functionality than the stock calendar. I can't check right now, but I'm almost certain there is a Notification Repeat function in the settings. Its free...give it a try.

BigRedGonzo

Edit:

Apologies, it has multiple reminders that are configurable, but not a nag function.

Upvote 0
Frank has solved the repeating reminder / notification issue with his app Calendar Event Reminder. You may have to throughly test the different settings to see how they react with your phone's screen lock and such to insure the alarm rings as intended, or gives you the pop-up to shut it off, but once this is determined the program works as advertised.

What I am now hoping for is different types of alarms for different calendar events. For example, due to my variable and non-standard work start times and work days, I use my calendar as my alarm clock. I am a sound sleeper, and also work up to 18 hour days, and can only get a few hours sleep. So I have the shrillest, longest duration alarm possible set up for the Calendar Event Notifier, and it works great for the intended purpose. And this program gives me the calendar flexibility that alarm clock programs just don't seem to provide.

Now, what if I desire a more subtle reminder for a some other type of event, e.g., mundane meeting, birthday, and such. It would be nice if a program used the different Google Calendar notification types, e.g., "pop-up" and "email", to determine if I got a loud, shrieking long duration alarm that goes off no matter what state my phone is in (suggest pop-up), versus a vibration only alert or short subtle tone for a different event (suggest "email" notification option here)....just sayin :). Frank if you are reading this I am giving you a not so subtle hint, and forgive me if I am being familiar by calling you Frank .

Upvote 0
g3ismeee,

thanks a lot for your feature request and the suggestion for improvement of my app. The feature you are looking for is already on my feature list (Different ringtone settings for event categories/calendars).

You can find it on my website and vote for it: foobarblog 2.0 Android App: Calendar Event Reminder

Until now it is one of the most voted features so i might work on it for one of the next releases. Frankly i didn't check how easy it could be implemented, but i will try to do my best ;)

Regards,
Frank

Reactions: BeeVee
Upvote 0
Great response time!! Really appreciated. 5 star app, with both features and developer support / response. What else you got out there? ;-).

Seriously, this app is highly recommended from a power calendar user that doesn't like spending money on apps and gets away with ads and free ice cream...this is worth it if one wants all the functionality spelled out in this thread.

Gregg (g three is me)

Upvote 0
Hi Frank,

Just purchased your app. Like G3 I'm in need of alarms on my calendar that I not only hear but react to (I use it as my alarm clock too, though I'm lazier than G3 only working on average 16 hours a day in ever-changing patterns :) ), so I vote for insistent alarms too.

I'm new to this whole Android mularky, but my Treo 680 just wasn't cutting it any more...

B

Upvote 0
Oh yes, perfectly explained. This is what I want as well!

Frank has solved the repeating reminder / notification issue with his app Calendar Event Reminder. You may have to throughly test the different settings to see how they react with your phone's screen lock and such to insure the alarm rings as intended, or gives you the pop-up to shut it off, but once this is determined the program works as advertised.

What I am now hoping for is different types of alarms for different calendar events. For example, due to my variable and non-standard work start times and work days, I use my calendar as my alarm clock. I am a sound sleeper, and also work up to 18 hour days, and can only get a few hours sleep. So I have the shrillest, longest duration alarm possible set up for the Calendar Event Notifier, and it works great for the intended purpose. And this program gives me the calendar flexibility that alarm clock programs just don't seem to provide.

Now, what if I desire a more subtle reminder for a some other type of event, e.g., mundane meeting, birthday, and such. It would be nice if a program used the different Google Calendar notification types, e.g., "pop-up" and "email", to determine if I got a loud, shrieking long duration alarm that goes off no matter what state my phone is in (suggest pop-up), versus a vibration only alert or short subtle tone for a different event (suggest "email" notification option here)....just sayin :). Frank if you are reading this I am giving you a not so subtle hint, and forgive me if I am being familiar by calling you Frank .

Upvote 0
Dear bthoward,

All I wanted was for the tone to keep repeating instead of just a 3 seconds dink.
This worked for me: Tone Picker (this forum prevents me from hyperlinking wtf? just google it)
Use this app to select the alert/sms ringtone from the calendar or message options and choose something that keeps repeating or use an mp3.

Not a troll just give this a try :( I created an account at this forum just to post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones