• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Replace Battery?

theonewho

Jul 10, 2011
Has anyone tried to replace the battery in this tablet? Skytex wants $80 to replace it but that's just ridiculous. I'm aware that I'll probably have to solder a new one in but I've heard that with some tablets you can't get them back together once they've been opened. Like, something expands or something?

So I need to know how to open this safely, and it would be nice if I knew what battery to get if anyone knows.

What you need to do - and what technicians in the business do - is to practice on at least a few dead tabs so you can see WHY you broke what you broke, and not break the same thing on the next one. (You'll break something different on the next one.)

It's not that something "expands", it's that the tab is put together in a certain way, and if you try to put it together in any different way, it won't go - and you could damage something.

Also, unless your soldering station is very well temperature-controlled (I'm not talking bout the $100 junk Radio Shack sells), you could end up damaging the battery while soldering it in, making the whole process a waste of time. That's assuming that the battery is soldered in, not spot-welded. (In which case, heating the tab with any soldering iron would probably damage the battery.)

Unless you're a cellphone repair tech, it's usually cheaper to pay to have hardware repairs done, than to do them yourself, then pay for the damage you caused to be fixed before the original repair is redone properly.

Upvote 0
At the price they're asking I may as well just get a whole new tablet. I did see some videos of replacements being done on generic Chinese tablets and was hoping it wouldn't be too difficult. I don't know how to solder myself, but I know someone that does. That being said, I have no idea if they have the cheap Radio Shack junk or not.

Unless someone else has actually tried this and succeeded, I'll be looking into other tablets. Thanks for your reply Rukbat!

Reactions: TheKrell
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones