• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replace GNex, or wait 6 months?

Jerry-rigged

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010
Texas
howdy gang-

So I drowned my Gnex (for the third time). No problem, I have a warrantee, and an upgrade on my account, for my son's phone - but he usually gets the hand-me-down phone, so no worries (so I thought)...

So I check into Big Red, to see my options. #1, $100 to get a new Gnex thru the insurance. #2 pay $200 and get a GS4 or Note2, but then I hear about the Note3 comming soon, so I think, #3, just re-activate an old Moto Droid to hold me over and I can wait a month or two for the Note 3...

BUT - My son (freshman in high school) started begging for a new Iphone. We said no at first, till he asked about his allowance... Now my son is really bad at saving money, so we though this could be a good exercise for him to try and save up the $200-$300 for a new Iphone... So we agreed. Now I can't use his upgrade for me... :rolleyes: :eek:

Issue part 2 - my upgrade is not up till March 14, and this old droid is starting to drive me batty. It is pretty much usless for anything other than the Phone and calculator... :( Spending the $100 should be a no-brainer, but now I read here ya'll are having issues with the GNex and the new firmware? How bad it is? My old Gnex died in June, and had an upgrade (4.2.2, I think) in March/April that was tough on the battery, but otherwise OK. How bad is the new firmware? Are there any decent Root/Roms that fix the issue? My Droid was rooted/Rom'ed, but I never cracked the hood on my GNex.

So what say the board? Spend the money and root the phone? or keep the Droid and suck it up for a few months?

If you go through the insurance route, I don't recommend the Galaxy Nexus. As you can get very good used ones for $150 ish on ebay. Sounds like you want the note 3 though.

So think about what would have the best resale value come note 3 time - or better, most likely to have your son want it so he doesn't get the apple phone.

Upvote 0
My Nexus is GSM, but as far as I know the newest firmware for the Verizon model is 4.2.2 - so any replacement should come with it, or end up with it, and be the same as what you had. I'm not really familiar with the issues specific to the Verizon model, but if you were relatively happy with the phone you had, I would pay the $100 to get you back on the same track you were on, and then see what's available when you're upgrade time arrives. If you weren't that happy with the phone, I would lean toward the GS4. The more you spend now, the less likely it is you'll want to part with even more money when upgrade time arrives.

But as gtbarry said, resale value can also play into it - if the differential in resale value (9 months from now) is more than the $100 difference you'd pay now, the difference in price isn't a factor in the long run.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones