Replaced Digitizer for HTC IncredibleTips

Last Updated:

1. mlawrence

mlawrence Member This Topic's Starter

After 5 weeks of owning my Dinc, it took a fall that it would not recover from. A mere 4 feet from my lap getting out of my truck. It landed, what appeared to be perfectly, flat on the driveway to surface with a cracked screen. The LCD worked fine and the touch worked fine technically. Unfortunately the glass shards made it difficult to work with so I picked up a cheap screen protector so I could use the phone without drawing blood on my fingers nor face. Thank goodness for insurance right? Well, after calling Asurion about the claim it became apparent that it was on backorder and the could not give me any timeframe for when I might see a replacement. I started looking for replacement digitizers from USA sellers and found one on ebay for ~$75. I ordered on to have on hand in the event I do not get a replacement soon. After waiting a week from Asurion and no new developments on my replacement I decided to attempt this task of replacing the digitizer( glass touch screen). Also, since I have not had any problems with my current Dinc I did not want to risk the chance of getting a dud and having to wait up to a month to get replaced, replaced, replaced. I searched the net for insight and found a couple of good sources. One was a youtube video from TechRestore(YouTube - Droid Incredible Disassembly by TechRestore) and the other was a post in the droid forum. The both proved very helpful. The images that follow show from start to end. Please note this was very intimidating to begin with but in the end the phone fired up and screen looks great so I am less intimidated afterwards.

Tools used: plaster tool that came with digitizer, tweezers, clear non-toxic adhesive, #6 star bit, packing tape(cover glass), exacto knife.

Couple of tips:
    1)use plastic tool to slowly separate glass from housing
    2)use plastic tool to scrape old adhesive from housing to apply new digitizer
    3)use tweezers to remove all three connectors- should slide out smoothly
    4)Have TechRestore disassembly video on hand during project

Enjoy new screen.

Update: Initially I was getting some outages on screen next day and realized that there are black clips on the end of the connectors that should be laying down parallel with pins NOT perpendicular. Once I went back in and adjusted all down. Works like its brand new.( In a good way)

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    p.m.conne, syn ack, Dex and 2 others like this.
  2. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

Wow, nice work and write-up. Glad things worked out.

3. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Good work! I'm glad the Inc is so easy to take apart. I've seen the Tech Report video, and having fixed many other phones it was a relief.

Side note, is that the HTC silicone case?

4. mlawrence

After 5 weeks of owning my Dinc, it took a fall that it would not recover from. A mere 4 feet from my lap getting out of my truck. It landed, what appeared to be perfectly, flat on the driveway to surface with a cracked screen. The LCD worked fine and the touch worked fine technically. Unfortunately the glass shards made it difficult to work with so I picked up a cheap screen protector so I could use the phone without drawing blood on my fingers nor face. Thank goodness for insurance right? Well, after calling Asurion about the claim it became apparent that it was on backorder and the could not give me any timeframe for when I might see a replacement. I started looking for replacement digitizers from USA sellers and found one on ebay for ~$75. I ordered on to have on hand in the event I do not get a replacement soon. After waiting a week from Asurion and no new developments on my replacement I decided to attempt this task of replacing the digitizer( glass touch screen). Also, since I have not had any problems with my current Dinc I did not want to risk the chance of getting a dud and having to wait up to a month to get replaced, replaced, replaced. I searched the net for insight and found a couple of good sources. One was a youtube video from TechRestore. See below YouTube - Droid Incredible Disassembly by TechRestore and the other was a post in the droid forum. The both proved very helpful. The images that follow show from start to end. Please note this was very intimidating to begin with but in the end the phone fired up and screen looks great so I am less intimidated afterwards.

Tools used: plaster tool that came with digitizer, tweezers, clear non-toxic adhesive, #6 star bit, packing tape(cover glass), exacto knife.

Couple of tips:
    1)use plastic tool to slowly separate glass from housing
    2)use plastic tool to scrape old adhesive from housing to apply new digitizer
    3)use tweezers to remove all three connectors- should slide out smoothly
    4)Have TechRestore disassembly video on hand during project

Enjoy new screen.

Sk1pp3r and gener1c like this.
  5. bucwylde23

bucwylde23 Well-Known Member

Wow, very nice. Good work.

6. n2airz

n2airz Well-Known Member

I always buy broken water damaged phones, and save a lot of money. I just made this repair from an Inc I purchased off of ebay. It is very simple. Definitely use a 3M VHB tape to adhere the digitizer. I am not sure what the manufacturer uses, however I am sure it is a variant of 3M's VHB.

John

7. gener1c

gener1c Well-Known Member

It's good to know that we can get screen replacements now. I'd rather take a hour or 2 to do it my self than wait a couple of days for a replacement.

8. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

awesome but i can get a new phone from asurion for 50... not trying to pay 75 for a screen

9. dnlwthrn

dnlwthrn Well-Known Member

True, but read his post again. Asurion couldn't get him a replacement right away, so he needed something that was more immediate. Plus, with the various reports of replacement phones having issues, he was more comfortable replacing the digitizer on his perfectly functioning phone than waiting for a replacement.

Reading comprehension goes a long way...

10. yojoe600

i did read the post so umm i would prob wait till they can send me one so yea dont jump down my throat i read just fine.... but being partially color blind is another story :)

11. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Wow great job, I couldn't do this as I don't trust myself with small fragile electronic items like circuit boards etc lol, I'm clumbsy and have little patients.
    But fantastic right up, looks "Incredible"

12. yojoe600

it does look like he did a great job though

13. skunny

skunny New Member

14. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

Not sure but I think I read it costs $90 to replace, though that could have been the cheaper asurion plan

15. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

Actually I think the asurion charge for a smartphone has been raised to 80!

16. yojoe600

shh guys i was trying to win this argument haha.... i knew it was $89 but that looks worse than the old $50 :)

17. frmovrfnctn

frmovrfnctn Well-Known Member

awesome post, i love tinkering stuff like this

18. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

This is one they slipped by me, was it in the very fine print?
    or has it always been in general $50 for feature phones and $90 smartphones? or a secret formula for which ones cost $90

19. yojoe600

it was something that came recently and sucks

20. mlawrence

No name from a wireless accessory shop.

21. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Well-Known Member

Asurion does cost 50 for me. I also pay two dollars less a month than the new plans as well.

22. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I made the mistake after buying my first droid of calling Verizon to make sure I had insurance they told me yes then changed me to the new plan. Stupid me, So I pay a couple more bucks a month. I'm not starting to think I may just drop my insurance all together and spend $100 on an Eris for a back up if I do something to my incredible. Plus I always have upgrades available so I guess if I lost, broke or bricked my phone I could just get a new one for $200 max

23. jwalker87

jwalker87 Well-Known Member

Erm, also, you don't have to pay $6/mo or whatever Asurion is. That monthly fee adds up. If you break the phone after, say, 8 months, you're paying $89 plus $48 in monthly fees. That's a hefty bit more than $75, and I'd prefer to work on my own stuff anyway.

24. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Ah, kinda looks like the HTC case, but I think the HTC one has more cushion to it (at least, mine feels very cushiony).

25. URNotEntitled

URNotEntitled Member

Any chance you still have a link to that droid forum post? I plan to replace my digitizer this weekend and am trying to collect as much useful information as I can before I start.

Also, where did you use the "clear, non-toxic adhesive"? Was that to secure the new digitizer to the bezel?