• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Replacement battery

bberryhill0

Android Expert
Jan 27, 2010
I think the battery in my 13 month old Eris is dieing so I called Verizon to ask about a replacement. If I had called last month the battery would have been covered by Asurion. Since I called after the one year warranty expired I can get a new one for $39.99. When I said I would probably be switching carriers when my contract was up she offered me 20% off. The rep assured me that smartphone batteries last more than a year and a half, hers is still fine. She also recommended letting the battery run down as far as possible before charging to extend its' life.

I'm going to run my battery down to shut off just because some people recommend it. This topic should probably be stickied to encourage Eris owners to call Verizon BEFORE their warranty runs out.

I think I've only flashed 4 ROMs in a year. From what I've read it's supposed to help to run the battery down to shut off and then charge it back to full before turning the phone back on. Kind of a pain if you use the phone every day but worth a try. This is going to become a serious issue over the next year as Eris owners wait for their ne2.

Upvote 0
I think I've only flashed 4 ROMs in a year. From what I've read it's supposed to help to run the battery down to shut off and then charge it back to full before turning the phone back on.

Meh, I think that's voodoo guesstimation myself. You can try wiping stats, but also realize that LiOn batteries do degrade as they are used, especially when they are used and charged as heavily as smartphones are.

Still, do the battery wipe first. Ignore all the stuff that tells you the "magic sauce" you are supposed to use and just use the phone normally. You may want to wipe stats whenever you change ROMs.

Also remember if you are booting into Recovery a lot that this does tend to drain the battery faster than just normal use. Though yesterday I was in Recovery and my phone went from 85% to 72% in that quick time in Recovery, but my phone stayed at 72% for a good hour after that. The battery meters are not always perfect about the guesses that they make.

Upvote 0
Battery wipe?

Restart the phone in Recovery
Go to the wipe menu
Wipe battery stats
Reboot the phone

It's probably a good idea to charge the Eris fully before doing this, and leaving it powered as you wipe stats, but disregard anybody who says that you must then drain it until it shuts down completely. First, it won't matter that much - just use the phone as you normally would. Second, I've read posts by people who drained their phones until it shut down and then had problems.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
On my Q9c I tried the drain the battery until shutdown then turn the phone on again until shutdown as recommended in the XDA thread above. FAIL! I had to use my old Q external charger to get the battery back. Letting the phone run until shutdown doesn't cause problems but further abuse will.

Upvote 0
On my Q9c I tried the drain the battery until shutdown then turn the phone on again until shutdown as recommended in the XDA thread above. FAIL! I had to use my old Q external charger to get the battery back. Letting the phone run until shutdown doesn't cause problems but further abuse will.
having to keep my phone on in an emergency even at the 5% warning message i can tell you its not worth the pain and hastle of letting your phone discharge till dead, now it says its always charging for days on end, and even says its discharging while its plugged in. total PITA, resetting battery stats and swapping battery didnt even resolve the issue. so take it from me dont do that!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones