Replacement droid microphone problem?

Last Updated:

1. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Was speaking to my gf on the phone and got in an arguement that she could not hear me at all unless I put phone right up to my mouth....if I held phone normally I was either very muffled or she could not hear me at all...very frustrating. Any suggestions? Any of yo have this issue....it is a brand new droid and I have new update installed...ill check back on this thread tomorrow but please tell me what y'all think... I'm a sad panda... :(

Advertisement
  2. gimpygoo

gimpygoo New Member

Do you have any of the cases that vzw sells on the device? I know that a couple of the cases sold will "block" the microphone a bit...If not, a microphone issue isnt an issue that is complained about much at all about the Droid.

3. gonzoguy24

yikes...well I do have the shell holster combo. I took the case off and tried it out as well but still the same issue. Anyone out there!? lol thanks gimpy for the reply :)

4. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

This isn't the same issue but maybe the same fix: I had my phone plugged in to my computer and forgot to go through the "safely remove" process. My sound notifications were not coming through the speaker (I could hear it but it was very faint). I turned the phone completely off and powered it back up and it reset to normal sound. You may have already tried this but it's always my first "technique" for anything. Reboot.

5. gonzoguy24

Thanks barb. I will try this :). I keep thinking that because this is not the storm that I never need a reset but this is worth a try. I will troubleshoot tonight after work

6. dew912

dew912 Well-Known Member

any news?

7. gonzoguy24

Hey dew. I will be at work another 1.5 hours and then the gym...So i will not be able to figure this out till later tonight. I will post when I find out tho. I just hope I do not need to go into a store for another droid :(

8. dew912

dew912 Well-Known Member

thanks gonzo. keep us posted!

9. gonzoguy24

Well here are my findings.
    I reset the phone during work and called the gf when i got out and all was peachy. No problems.
    Later on last night i was on the phone with her again and mid conversation (me holding phone distance from face) she starts saying "Hello? Hello? Hello?" all the while I am talking. She could not hear me. This goes in and out throughout our convo until frustration builds and we have to say good bye for the night. Great...hahaha So fellas I am still having the problem. :(

10. Bigmatt

Bigmatt Member

The 2.0.1 update should fix it. It did for me! Good luck

11. gonzoguy24

Have had 2.0.1 since the manual update information was posted :-/

12. dew912

dew912 Well-Known Member

yea i got 2.01 as well - did not help. oh, and by the way gonzo...my girlfriend hates it too! she cringes when she hears "Drroooiiiidddd" too. I'll give her up before my droid though if it comes to it.

13. gonzoguy24

baahahaha...my gf hates the droid but more than anything she hates the whole not hearing me/hearing herself echo when i put her on speaker. hahaha We literally have never gotten so frustrated with each other as we have over trying to communicate with this thing hahaha. But yea my droid isn't going anywhere haha

14. dew912

dew912 Well-Known Member

we should start a droid or girlfriend poll. who would you be more willing to part with. i know where my vote is giong :)

15. The Last Lemming

The Last Lemming Member

Just registered to reply.. TMobile/Nokia/Symbian user of 5+ years, switched to VZW/Droid 2 weeks ago.

Just had a conversation of 30mins or so.. 3-4 times while moving, the sound cut out on her end.. hello? hello? call you back if you can hear.. Frustrating! This has to be a software problem, yea?

Droid/Android is 5x more useful as an internet device than my old Nokia, but a fundamental component (phone) has been ok to poor. Bad call quality or no sound at all, even though I can hear them clearly.

Hoping 2.0.2 resolves this.. :(

16. cavitating

cavitating Active Member

Yes, I have this problem, only it is constant. Had a 39/09 from day 1... was great for a couple days, then the echo started. Everyone I spoke to said they heard themselves in a terrible echo. I exchanged for a 43/09 and still had the echo (looked on the internet and saw the speakerphone fix) but now no one could hear me, I waited for 2.0.1 to see if that fixed it but it did not. Traded 2 days ago for a 44/09 and mic still is low - people say it's better, but not as good as my old nondroid phone. I wish I would have read about the echo before I traded my 39/09.

17. EAK128

EAK128 Well-Known Member

I got this from another droid forum, seems to help out. Try it and see.

• Dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and act as if you were going to call that number.
    • Enter 000000 for the SPC Password and then tap Verify
    • Tap on "04 Vocode"
    • Tap on EVRC-B than Apply
    • The phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
    • Explanation - This changes how the phone compresses and decompressed the call audio which improves the quality.

18. Plymouthbiker

Plymouthbiker Active Member

Other solutions.
    1. get the girlfriends ears syringed.
    2. get the girlfriends ears checked.
    3. get new girlfriend.

All of the above will not apply if others are having the same problem hearing you.

I had a Samsung Omnia, and my girlfriend kept complaining that she couldn't hear me very well and kept saying it was the phone. No one else had the problem. So what did I do?... Told her to see the doctor. The doctor told her, her hearing wasn't as good as it should be. (haha! pi**ed on her fire!)

Funny enough.... I'm single now. !!?? Although the Samsung has gone to a better home too and now I have a Hero. lol!

19. dew912

dew912 Well-Known Member

this is still a terrible problem with the phone. i love the droid in every other conceivable way. anyone find a solution yet?

20. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

do you have voice privacy on? I hear turning that off helps. My friends say they have a hard time hearing me but idk if thats cause of my phone or google voice . . .

absolute1diva likes this.
  21. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

what is voice privacy?

God, these complaints really got me thinking I need to take action before my time runs out to return the phone. So many many problems.

22. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

this.

23. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

voice privacy is a setting in call settings that seems to make it harder for the other person to hear you. make sure that is unchecked if people are having trouble hearing you

24. gnowak2

gnowak2 Active Member

I had the same problem and turned the volume down to 3/4 and have not had the problem since. It has something to do with the noise cancelling speaker. Jerry

25. defsquad

defsquad New Member

i'm having the same problem; verizon CR told me to turn off voice privacy, but it didn't help AT ALL. i'm 2 days past my 30 day return policy (BOOOOO, was thinking about jumping ship to tmobile for their 7.2mbit hspa and the nexus one).. the verizon CR did say that 2.1 should fix a lot of these issues, so we'll see.

don't really want to get rid of the phone and verizon, but cripes man, i went to verizon BECAUSE OF THIS VERY REASON.. bad quality and dropped calls..