Replacement Eris on it's way...General

Last Updated:

1. Ellie914

Ellie914 Active Member This Topic's Starter

So a week or so ago I called Verizon and complained about all the issues with my phone...you know the drill. They suggested I did a factory reset which I did. Waited a week and the phone is doing the same things. So I called again today and they are sending me a "certified like new replacement" whatever that means. Should be here tomorrow.
    What are the odds that it will have the same issues as the one I currently have?? Pretty much the same issues as everyone else, dialer lag, not getting texts, my home screen has a mind of it's own and scrolls left and right without me, I could list a bunch more...
    If I have trouble with this one too and I keep complaining will they eventually send me a diff phone or just keep sending the same thing.
    Honestly I'm hoping this one is better...I like the phone just hate the issues. Who wants to wait 30 seconds to be able to answer the phone and then 30 sec to be able to hang it up etc.

Thanks for listening!! HAHA :)

Advertisement
  2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone really knows the odds, but my refurb unit was better than my first and the first's only real problem was the trackball issue so there is hope for you. Good luck!

3. Ellie914

Thanks! I hope it works ok too b/c it's such a pain to have to switch everything over to a new phone or do a reset all the time. I would much rather just have a working phone!!!

4. Ellie914

Well I just wanted to update...got the phone yesterday and it's all set to go..only problem is I'm not able to receive or make calls now :(

Is this the silent call bug everyone is talking about?? That was like the only prob I didn't have on the other one...
    great now what???

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

You have activated the phone, right? I'd make sure. ;)

If I received a replacement Eris, the first thing I would do is a factory data reset in order to set up activation.

6. Ellie914

Yeah I did all that yesterday when I got the phone. Used it all day yesterday and now when I tried calling my hubby he could hear me but I couldn't hear anything. He tried calling me back and the same thing happened when I hit answer. I couldn't hear anything and he could hear me.

7. Frisco

The classic silent call bug, Ellie. :(

Temporary remedies are posted here and there, but replacement is still the best shot, it appears, sorry to say.

8. Ellie914

Great... :( So am I supposed to call Verizon again and tell them that it's not working. They are going to think I'm crazy!! Ugh it's such a pain to have to reset everything just to not have it work and now I'm prob going to have to do it again. UGH!!! What are the odds that they will send me a totally diff phone, prob pretty slim huh??

9. Frisco

I'm afraid another replacement is about it; but take heart, some hit a good one after only two or three.. the Verizon reps may even suggest a different model for you, such as the Incredible or a Droid.. we've seen all sorts of reports in these forums.

10. Ellie914

Thanks! I'm going to call them in a few min. I just made a call and put it on speaker phone and it worked fine..then took it off speaker and couldn't hear anything again. Blah...stupid phone.

ETA: I called and they are sending me another Eris and it should be here monday...How many of these will I have to go through?? LOL

11. VonKannick

VonKannick Well-Known Member

This may be the last one or you may have to go through several more. Completely random. If you're lucky they will offer you a free upgrade to Droid, Incredible or Ally. I even heard of one case where the upgrade was to Droid X or Droid 2.

12. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

someone should make a post with a poll, of how many Eris refurbs youve had,.... verizon has got to end out soon right lol it seems everyone and there kids have gone through 3. including myself. I wonder what would be offered once they run out. not everyone has the extended warranty tho and the warrenty for the eris has to be coming up right?

13. Frisco

It's strange, all right. I'm thinking that each Eris first brought back to the stores becomes somebody's "refurb," so the point of diminishing returns has to be reached soon. ;)

Thus the offers for Incredibles and even Droids we hear about: they ran out of Erises in that area?

14. Ellie914

I wish they would run out of Erises in my area...I'm not impressed so far and just bought the thing in February. I guess I should have done more research before hand.

It's been awesome all weekend only talking on speaker whenever I get a call with 4 kids in the vicinity at all times!! Yup great times!! LOL

15. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they ran out, or if me being upset with the refrub thing that got me my Incredible, but either way, the phone feels cheap. I miss my beautifully built Eris. thinking of going for the droid2 within my 30 days.. coming to an end soon

16. alex3569

alex3569 Member

I went through three Eris's in about a three week period and then I started having the audio bug. I went to the store and explained to them all the problems I have gone through and they had a droid 1 shipped to me and that is like night and day. I also received froyo right when I turned it on.:D extremely fast now.

17. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

I went through 3 before I got good working Eris. Now that Ive rooted its the best phone I have even had.

18. Ellie914

Got my new Eris and it seems to be doing ok so far. I actually did the 1 click root thingy and it seems to be a bit faster...not sure what to do after that though!?

Maybe this Eris will actually last the rest of my contract!! :) :)

19. toord

toord Member

Apparently those reports are either untrue or highly unlikely. I just got a replacement for my Eris that pretty much was so slow to be useless ever since I got the 2.1 OTA. I read about the upswap around the internets. Just out of curiosity I called to check what model vzw had sent and the person told me a Eris refurb. I asked her about a possible upswap and she told me the _only_ way that could happen is if they happen to have ZERO inventory at that particular moment in time when they're placing the replacement order. Otherwise, you get standard-issue refurbs (they like to call it "like-new device", btw). Not sure if the third or four failure they decide to upswap you or not but for first and second swap I have not seen (first hand) any evidence of upswap to Incredible.

20. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

It has happened, but you have to be pretty lucky. They are the VAST minority. Refurbs usually are fine. But can be a hit or miss sometimes. Interestingly, mine was done via overnight shipping. Too bad it was on Friday. I had to wait until Monday. But it arrived from Tennessee to South Dakota within 6 hours though Monday morning. The box was beat to smitheroons but the phone itself has been working fine for 3 months. :D

21. socarwolverine

socarwolverine Well-Known Member

I actually did get "upswapped" to the Incredible after going through 2 refurbed eris'. I'm not gonna say it'll happen for everyone because my CSR was exceptually nice and even gave me the extended battery for free and replaced all my accessories. I guess it depends on the rep and your attitude, I was offered the Incredible, I didn't ask or even implied that I wanted something different.

22. smacky

smacky Banned

If you're polite, you stand a good chance for the upgrade to a newer, better phone. You may need to exaggerate a bit, but you can combat the guilt that the rep is also probably lying to you or giving you the runaround (probably through orders from higher-ups, but still..) to get you to keep this phone which will probably never see another update again.

23. Frisco

I've seen many, but as you say (and as coincidentally pointed out in post #16 above) it seems to lean toward an "upswap" after about the third Eris refurb.

Post #21 reports two refurbs then the Incredible.

24. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

You are lucky to get the incredible. We are having problems with our fifth eris (3 to the silent call issue, 1 to gps failure) and now the speaker went out. Verizon offered us 4 options, none of which were very exciting. Option 1 replace the phone again Option 2 A Motorola Droid for $189 Option 3 A Devour or Ally for $179 Option 4 A Incredible for $269 after a $100 mail in rebate and a contract extension for another year. Since my wife hates keyboards that left us with 2 options and Option 4 didn't seem like Verizon was really trying to help. Therefore Option 1 is what I went with and am waiting for a 6th and hopefully last Eris replacement. As they say in Nebraska go big red! :(

25. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

On a side note which I forgot the rep mentioned that there are plenty of replacement Eris devices in stock so there won't be an issue there.