replacement evo worse than current evo

Last Updated:

1. sitlet

sitlet Banned This Topic's Starter

So I FINALLY got my replacement in the mail today from Sprint. I turned it on but didnt activate it so I could make sure it works properly. It's a version 3, and right out of the box I noticed a big problem. The power button is VERY sunken in. I thought my current phone was bad, but I literally have to use my fingernail to push this button. I cannot hit it with just my finger, this is very annoying. The other problem is the new LCD. Whatever type it is, it looks like ass. It doesn't get as bright, I would say about 75% as bright as my current one. And the whites are HORRIBLE. I opened up the browser on both phones to a blank page, and the difference is stunning. It looks like a brand new tennis shoe next to a 2 year old one. This one's going back again.

Advertisement
  2. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member

That must have been VERY disappointing :(

3. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member

Probably the difference between the epson and the novatek, would you mind posting pics so we can see? I saw a comparison pic before but it wasnt too revealing except for brightness and a slight hue difference.

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Also pictures of the sunken in power button. I have yet to see what that looks like

5. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member

Just curious...if you got the replacement, why/how do you still have the old one?? You didn't have to send it back or return it?

6. nahpungnome

nahpungnome Well-Known Member

I had a replacement sent to me directly from HTC and I also noticed that my power button was way more sunken in than my original... It's by no means difficult to push in though. It's even easy to press down through my silicone case. Sorry to hear about your screen.

7. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member

Many companies do whats called a 'secured exchange' . You return the defective device after you receive the replacement. If you dont return the defective one within the specified period you will be charged to either your account, or to the credit card required for the exchange.

8. sitlet

I got it in the mail, and have 10 days to send it back, so I figured I would check the new one out before I sent my current one back.

Here's some pics of the issues. The Left Evo is my current 002 version, and the right one is the "new" replacement 003 version. Look particularly at the whites in both pictures. The last pic is the only good one I could get of the sunken power button. It does not look that bad from the picture, but I can assure you, I cannot hit it with my finger alone, I have to use my fingernail.

Attached Files:

9. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

so the new one has the EPSON screen then?

10. sitlet

I'm not really sure which screen is which, but it's the new one that looks washed out and kind of dull.

11. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

What are you returning the first one for? I can see what you mean about the first one's screen being brighter but the blacks are better on the second one. Give a little lose a little. The power button is not sunken in... I think this is just how 003's are because my power button is like that (at least as far as I can tell from the pictures and I have zero issues pressing it now that I am used to it. My fingertip finds it everytime

12. sitlet

I'm returning the first one due to light leakage on the bottom and sides of the screen, and the battery cover will not stay on, it keeps popping off.

I know it doesnt look bad from the picture, but again, I have to use my fingernail to hit the button.

13. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

can you do the Brightness test?

go to:

Menu - Settings - Sound & Display - Brightness

Uncheck "Automatic Brightness" and play with the brightness scale. If the screen dims and brightens gradually (fading effect) then it is a NOVA screen if it does it instantaneously then it is an EPSON screen.

14. sitlet

It fades gradually with the brightness in settings and with the power control widget.

15. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

which one? the new one? what about the old one?

16. sitlet

They both are the same, both fade gradually. The new one is the one with the color problem, and it definitely doesn't get as bright as my current one.

skpd likes this.
  17. FunDroid

FunDroid Banned

Did it come in a full retail box with a new charger, battery and everything?

18. sitlet

Yep, full retail. I called CS today, they said to take it into a store to get it looked at. But I really don't want to as the store in my area didn't want to replace my current phone, so I doubt they will replace this one because the colors are off.

19. shikem

shikem Well-Known Member

I have had pretty much the exact same experience. Ver 3 screen is not nearly as bright and power button is more recessed than Ver 2. At there I don't have the light leaking across the bottom screen.