• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement for Eris?

I am on my 3rd Eris...both replacements have been refurbished ones. It is acting up but not as bad as the first two. Have the dreaded silent call bug and does have some lag especially when dialing. Would love something else but seems hard to get something other than a refurbished Eris.

The dialer lag is fixed if you clear your call history. Seriously, try it. There is also a new radio to fix the silent call bug, supposedly. I haven't tested it extensively and I just got a D2 because I missed my keyboard.

Upvote 0
VZW Customer Service has told me that they only consider giving you a different device after you go through 3 to 4 replacements. Found this out when trying to get my wife's Devour swapped out. If they offer you a Devour avoid it like the plague. Everyone I know who has one absolutely hates it -- a huge pile of steaming mule dung.

Upvote 0
Verizon gave me an Incredible for free.

they canceled out my existing contact for free. opened up a new two year contract for me, also free.

credited me $150 for my Eris, which I got to keep and sell ($150)

Then gave me the Inc at the two year online price of $199, which the Eris credit covered.

and I've had the Inc since 7/27...

So I made $150 to get a free NEW Inc.

when there is a will, there is a way.

Upvote 0
After trying to make an emergency phone call with my eris which was unsuccessful I called verizon and told them my story she offered to send me another eris which I politely declined and asked if there was any other phone I could get. She said she she would look to see what the replacement phone for the eriswas and asked if I wanted a droid. I jumped on it and couldn't be happier. I would say just be polite as it will get you much farther. I've heard others that are only being offered devours and the ally and I'm so glad they didn't try to pawn one of those off on me.

Upvote 0
Well I was nice, as most of us know it can go a long way and this is technically my 3rd eris. When I first got the Eris back in November I was having some data and call issues, so I got it replaced in store(within the 30 day mark). The second one was also replaced 3 days later, and that was suffering data issues and some form of the silent rig bug. Tech support also saw that it was my third phone, but said that Eris can only be replaced with Eris.

Upvote 0
I am still on my original Eris, and very happy with it. There are plenty of posts in this forum though where someone had repeat problems and eventually got an upgrade, either free or reduced cost. From what I have seen, it is important for them to suggest a different phone, rather than asking for one. If you need to, escalate the call. Just keep asking for a supervisor until you get the answers you want, so long as you are being reasonable. As I said earlier also, some have had luck threatening to leave VZW due to multiple bad phones. I think most have had better luck calling tech support than going into a store, though I have seen a few who got a different phone from the store.

Upvote 0
Like the "HTCthebestdroid" I got a DInc after I went through 3 Erises. I asked for a "certified like new device" so I didnt have to use my upgrade and could hold on to it for later in the year. Just be polite, it worked for me. I didn't even ask for a replacement, the Rep offered it without even trying to trouble-shoot the eris and sent the 2150 extended battery for free also. It does seem like it matters which rep you get, some are nicer than others but being polite goes a very long way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones