Replacement N1 - Gmail messages automatically marked as readSupport

Last Updated:

1. betabob

betabob New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I just received a replacement N1 because my original unit accumulated quite a bit of dust under the screen. Anyway, ever since I transitioned to the replacement unit I've been noticing some strange behavior in my Gmail accounts, namely the fact that all my new email messages are being automatically marked as read. It doesn't happen immediately as best as I can tell, but probably in the neighborhood of 30-60 minutes after they are received. Has anyone else ever come across this issue and can advise me of a solution?

Bob

Advertisement
  2. gerryk

gerryk Well-Known Member

Maybe someone got your old unit with the google credentials still on it and is merrily reading your emails.

3. betabob

betabob New Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I still have my older unit. However...I think you're sort of right here. Previous to the N1 I was a Blackberry user and used it to access my Gmail accounts. Though I totally wiped out my BB before I sold it, I never changed my TMO service plan because I have a very old BB plan that is attractively priced. So, because I am still on a BB plan the BB "cloud" is still aware of my Gmail accounts and technically can still login using my credentials. I didn't really consider this until several hours later in the day yesterday when I received these mysterious "BlackBerry Messenger email confirmation" messages being sent to both my Gmail accounts. From what I can gather these messages are sent when the Blackberry network is trying to confirm that the device owner is also the owner of the email account. I suspect that whoever now owns my old BB is now trying to set it up, and the BB service is trying to do so based on the information it currently about my BB device, including my Gmail accounts. So...what I ended up doing was to change the passwords on both Gmail accounts and lo and behold...the problem went away.