• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Replacement phone arrives tomorrow

Pointguard1122

Aug 15, 2010
Denver, CO
I have my DX setup exactly the way I want it including RubiX, rooted, manually created Star Wars lock screen, Replaced notification picture, ect. I have a Nandroid with the original bootloader from yesterday I would like to use. But what if the new phone comes with 2.2 and the new bootloader? What are my options? I know I can root and install Bootstrap, but can I recover from my current Nandroid? I am not real sure what steps can and cannot be done with the new bootloader.

Thanks for any input. I am really hoping for 2.1, but I am not expecting it.

i went through the same problems as you when i had my DX. yea the nandroid will work with the replacement device but the new device will come with 2.2 not 2.1. also your going to have to use adb or rootexplorer to remove the bootstrap from the old droid x. i found out if you just uninstall it, and you reboot the phone clockwork comes up no matter what. use this to get rid of clockwork it worked for me.
UNINSTALL the Recovery APK in Settings, Applications
Reboot
Run "adb shell"
Run "su"
Run "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"
Run "cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper"
Reboot

do you know how to unroot the old DX before you send it in?? i use adb the 1 click process here Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

make sure the old DX (if you are themed) is completely ODEX. if you want i still have a nandroid with completely stock ODEX 2.3.15 verizon's ota. all it haz is root let me know.
im sorry if you did not need all this info lol but i wanted to make sure you send the phone back completely stock.

Reactions: Pointguard1122
Upvote 0
Thanks alot. I guess the right method for me will be to root with the D2 method, install bootstrap, recover to my Nandroid, reboot. That should put me in good shape. I just hope Birdman comes through with the bootloader workaround.

As far as the old phone, I am going to SBF back to stock. It still has the old bootloader so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your help. I was just a little concerned about a 2.1 bootloader Nandroid on a 2.2 bootloader phone. Glad to hear that is not a problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks alot. I guess the right method for me will be to root with the D2 method, install bootstrap, recover to my Nandroid, reboot. That should put me in good shape. I just hope Birdman comes through with the bootloader workaround.

As far as the old phone, I am going to SBF back to stock. It still has the old bootloader so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your help. I was just a little concerned about a 2.1 bootloader Nandroid on a 2.2 bootloader phone. Glad to hear that is not a problem.

lol yea you should be fine then :D

Upvote 0
I have my DX setup exactly the way I want it including RubiX, rooted, manually created Star Wars lock screen, Replaced notification picture, ect. I have a Nandroid with the original bootloader from yesterday I would like to use. But what if the new phone comes with 2.2 and the new bootloader? What are my options? I know I can root and install Bootstrap, but can I recover from my current Nandroid? I am not real sure what steps can and cannot be done with the new bootloader.

Thanks for any input. I am really hoping for 2.1, but I am not expecting it.

Before I requested my replacement I asked if it will come with 2.2 and they said no...Hopefully your phone will be the same. Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones