• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement Phones

Wanted to share my experience thus far..... received a new direct fulfillment incredible on the 5th after ordering monday the 3rd. Phone had serious reboot issues and signal strength problems, took to verizon store and they issued a replacement to be shipped to me via customer service. That phone was supposed to be here yesterday, however it hadn't even shipped. I returned to the verizon store and a tracking number had been produced and my replacement should arrive this friday, according to the fedex website the package originated in Ontario CA. My question to those of you that did have a "brown box" phone sent to you, where did it come from? This could help others to see if certain warehouses are shipping new stock or "refurb" stock. (myself included) Unless the fact that I even have a tracking number means a new retail phone is on its way.

Upvote 0
Wanted to share my experience thus far..... received a new direct fulfillment incredible on the 5th after ordering monday the 3rd. Phone had serious reboot issues and signal strength problems, took to verizon store and they issued a replacement to be shipped to me via customer service. That phone was supposed to be here yesterday, however it hadn't even shipped. I returned to the verizon store and a tracking number had been produced and my replacement should arrive this friday, according to the fedex website the package originated in Ontario CA. My question to those of you that did have a "brown box" phone sent to you, where did it come from? This could help others to see if certain warehouses are shipping new stock or "refurb" stock. (myself included) Unless the fact that I even have a tracking number means a new retail phone is on its way.

I am pretty sure mine came from Texas.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have to wait until May 29th to pick mine up in store, I am just using my Refurb for now and swapping out for a new one. I can't believe they have Refurbs already, where did they come from and why would they think it is not an issue to swap brand new phones out with these crappy refurbs?

Probably new blemished/defective units from production that HTC fixed up and marked as refurbished.

Upvote 0
Well, I just received my replacement. It is in fact a new retail packaged phone. Mine was shipped from Ontario, CA (just like my first phone). I think the best thing to do for those who need to replace their phone and don't want to receive a refurbished (as long as you're in the 30 day time-frame, which everyone should be in at this point), is to make sure to tell whoever is ordering to order a new retail phone...

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0
Well, I just received my replacement. It is in fact a new retail packaged phone. Mine was shipped from Ontario, CA (just like my first phone). I think the best thing to do for those who need to replace their phone and don't want to receive a refurbished (as long as you're in the 30 day time-frame, which everyone should be in at this point), is to make sure to tell whoever is ordering to order a new retail phone...

Hope this helps...

When did you order your replacement? Before May 9th?

Upvote 0
Yup, anything after the 9th is not going to be shipped any sooner then May 26th!!! boooooooo....

That's what I was told also. The rep said it could ship sooner but I'm not holding my breath.

Just some info I got when I called today:
I was told I would be receiving a brand new phone and not a refurb and that's why I have to wait until they get a new batch in stock.

She said that even if it doesn't ship before my 30 day period is up they will still honor the trial period since I requested a replacement before the 30 days.

They also won't be charging my credit card until they ship the new phone and then they will reimburse me when they get the bad phone back.

Upvote 0
I just found out I had gotten a refurb in the mail. The first CSR did not want to cooperate and refused to give me a supervisor right away, only offered a 24 hr callback. The second CSR was a bit more understanding, still a long call, but was able to set it up so that a new one will ship out at the end of the month and I can send the refurb back.

Nothing wrong with the refurb at all, but I should not have received a refurb for as a replacement for a new phone that was only a few days old.

Upvote 0
I just found out I had gotten a refurb in the mail. The first CSR did not want to cooperate and refused to give me a supervisor right away, only offered a 24 hr callback. The second CSR was a bit more understanding, still a long call, but was able to set it up so that a new one will ship out at the end of the month and I can send the refurb back.

Nothing wrong with the refurb at all, but I should not have received a refurb for as a replacement for a new phone that was only a few days old.

Have you or anyone else in this thread noticed better cell reception with your new or refurbished unit??

Upvote 0

Hope this helps...

My original pre-order Incredible originated from Ontario, CA. I'm expecting a "new" replacement device tomorrow. Based on what I've read here, I can bet that it will be a refurb -- the shipment originated in Fort Worth, TX. The Texas warehouse seems to be the source of refurbs.

My VZW CSR rep leveled with me. She suggested that I return the refurb & return the original -- effectively wiping out my upgrade to the Incredible. She told me that once I go beyond the 30-day window, there is nothing they'll ever be able to do for me. I will ALWAYS get refurbs.

She then suggested that I buy one of the new batch Incredibles in June.

I hate to say it, but come June...I think I'm taking my Family plan to Sprint. EVO's for both of us. lol.

Upvote 0
Have you or anyone else in this thread noticed better cell reception with your new or refurbished unit??

Call quality is better and I have not dropped any calls yet on my recertified unit. I guess that is better reception? If my recertified didn't have blemishes, I would have just kept it.

I think I will be returning the phone before my 30 days is up. The CSR rep I spoke to did note in the account to replace my recertified unit with a brand new one IN STORE... but we all know new ones won't be available u ntil June 10th or so. I do not want to risk the chance of Verizon giving me a hard time about it, and I end up stuck with my current one.

Reactions: jhelwege
Upvote 0
I'm thinking about it.. but is the EVO going to be any better? HTC is developing a bad track record..

Of course, I can't say that the EVO is going to be bug-free. The phone isn't even out yet. :)

I'll say this, though, it doesn't appear that the EVO has the optical joystick, and we know quite well that this defect is related to the joystick. So, no joystick = better chance of a good phone.

Only problem I see is the wireless coverage map. There are a few places we have to travel to in less-populated regions. The Verizon map completely blankets the entire area with full coverage. The Sprint map -- ugh, it shows spotty coverage at best.

---

Like Moon said, I'll return my defective Inc before my 30-days are up. I know that VZW will just screw me once the 30-day period is up, and I'll be stuck with defects or refurbs for 2 years.

Upvote 0
If the phone came in a brown box with nothing else it is either a refurb or used. There is normally a sticker on the back of the phone under the battery if it is a refurb there will also be a white piece of paper in there that lists all the test they ran on the device. However Verizon will send out phones that have been returned because the customer didnt like them and these will not be marked. They get cleaned up, powered on to see if they work and then factory reset. They only refurb the ones that have issues and if it is returned because the customer didnt like it they dont get the testing the refurbs do.

Upvote 0
I ride a ferry on my commute to work. While reading the interwebs and going from portrait to landscape we hit a big wake causing me to drop the phone (first time I've actually dropped a phone in 5 years). Needless to say, screen is smashed. Filed a claim with Asurion online and had a replacement the next day via mail. It was indeed a new phone, but it has the god awful pink hue. Called them up and explained the situation and they are going to send me another one, would have been here today but they are back ordered.

i got replacement because my camera was freezing every four shots or so, requiring power down to fix. it had the horrible pink hues on almost any screen with a lot of white. new phone, pink hues are everywhere. flippin lovely! suppose i will try a 2nd exchagne??? :(

Upvote 0
I am waiting on a supposed new replacement. They ordered it last Thurs/friday from online customer service and said it would be here in 5-7 business days. Also told me to do so they put a temporary charge on my account of $184. Tomorrow will be 5 business days and still not tracking number so on monday/tuesday if I have nothing yet I am going to call them and see what's up. They said the replacement is brand new and I have to return all original accessories with my original phone and make sure that I hadn't removed the UPC from the old box or had reattached it.

Upvote 0
The one I got was definitely a refurb. It even had the previous owners phone number on the paperwork. The phone speaker on the refurb didn't work. So I retunred that and had them reset my upgrade date then I ordered it again. That way, I'm sure I'll get a new one. I have to wait three weeks because of the backorder though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones