• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacement Question

xkingofgodzx

Android Enthusiast
May 15, 2010
New York
I have had my Inc since April of last year. I have it rooted and i am running a custom rom. Someone spilled a mixed drink on my phone and now the track pad is stuck, it still works but its really annoying how it wont click. That wasnt a huge deal but then i dropped my phone and of course i didnt have my case on because i changed out my battery to charge both my stock and my 1800mah for a long day out. Now my once perfect phone has a stuck trackpad and i big ding up by the power button. The ding doenst affect functionality but i hate how it looks now and when i go to sell it when i decide to switch it loses value. My question is should i bother getting a replacement? I do have insurance but im still under the one year warranty. I could get a new phone tomorrow but i have a few things i hope someone can answer before i do.

1. I have amoled and i really dont want slcd, if i get a replacement will it be amoled or slcd or is it 50-50? I understand the differences and i personally like amoled better so thats a big thing for me.

2. If i do get an amoled replacement and root it, could i just use my old nand backups and titanium backups on the replacement instead of reinstalling the rom and all my apps and having to set everything back up? because if i could just use the backups from this phone, that would be amazing.

I know it wont cover damage i also have some issues with the charging port. When its connect to my computer it disconnects like crazy if its not in the exact right spot that was what i told them. So i could have gotten a replacement no issue i already went through CS and had them not send the phone because i was out of my home state for a week. So i have time to decide what i want to do.

Upvote 0
I have had my Inc since April of last year. I have it rooted and i am running a custom rom. Someone spilled a mixed drink on my phone and now the track pad is stuck, it still works but its really annoying how it wont click. That wasnt a huge deal but then i dropped my phone and of course i didnt have my case on because i changed out my battery to charge both my stock and my 1800mah for a long day out. Now my once perfect phone has a stuck trackpad and i big ding up by the power button. The ding doenst affect functionality but i hate how it looks now and when i go to sell it when i decide to switch it loses value. My question is should i bother getting a replacement? I do have insurance but im still under the one year warranty. I could get a new phone tomorrow but i have a few things i hope someone can answer before i do.

1. I have amoled and i really dont want slcd, if i get a replacement will it be amoled or slcd or is it 50-50? I understand the differences and i personally like amoled better so thats a big thing for me.

2. If i do get an amoled replacement and root it, could i just use my old nand backups and titanium backups on the replacement instead of reinstalling the rom and all my apps and having to set everything back up? because if i could just use the backups from this phone, that would be amazing.

1. It will be an AMOLED most likely...I would say 9 out of 10 times it will be AMOLED.

2. Yes. You can use your old backups. :).

Upvote 0
1) The warranty claim will likely be denied based on the subsequent damage.

2) The reason restoring a nandroid from your current device is foolhardy is that if your current phone is repaired and subsequently sent to someone as a replacement, both devices will likely share the same android_id. As such, your apps could easily be involuntarily pushed to them and vice versa. The cloning of the android_id represents a fairly significant data compromise.

Upvote 0
2) The reason restoring a nandroid from your current device is foolhardy is that if your current phone is repaired and subsequently sent to someone as a replacement, both devices will likely share the same android_id. As such, your apps could easily be involuntarily pushed to them and vice versa. The cloning of the android_id represents a fairly significant data compromise.

Thanks for the info, good thing I use Titanium then.

Upvote 0
None of this is damage from dropping the phone. i am picky about my devices i hate when they get damaged. I am very good about making sure they dont but i was careless after being exhausted and my phone slipped off my lap. The trackball is stuck and they will have no idea why because i have tried getting it unstuck and there is no water damage to the phone. Also like i said it keeps connecting and disconnecting from my laptop if the cord is not in the exact right spot, this is the main reason i asked for a replacement along with the trackpad being stuck. I highly doubt they will charge me for the replacement. The ding is up near the power button and in now way affects functionality of the phone. Thanks for the info about not using old backups though good information.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones