Replacing backed up data onto a new phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. danielvago

danielvago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just had my phone stolen, but I copied the whole SD onto my PC beforehand. When I get a new phone, and copy and replace all this data to the new phone, how much is it like the original phone then?

Are the settings, placement of everything, etc. all the same or how does that work?

Advertisement
  2. adzila

adzila Active Member

Wouldnt it just be your files you were copying back on? Unless youve backed up the app APK's, you'll need to find those and install again. Even if you have got the app APK's, you'd need something like astro to install them? Settings you will definitley need to change manually i'd think.

3. danielvago

Anyone?

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

You'll have a brand new phone with none of your apps and settings. All you will have is your sd card data.

If you install some of the apps you had from the market, some of them may read their settings from the SD card, but you will essentially be starting from scratch

5. danielvago

A little off-topic;

As I said I had my Desire stolen and have had my carrier disconnect my SIM card.

The thing I'm worried about is all the access the thief could possibly have through my phone, even with a different SIM card.

I changed passwords for Facebook and my google account, which was synced to a bunch of things.

I also had it synced to my windows live email, as my primary email service.
    I changed the password for ingoing emails, which should mean he will not receive my emails? But what about outgoing emails?
    I tried ticking the box that says "my server requires authorisation"; the same password for my ingoing emails.

Have I done everything, or am I missing something? And is this enough?

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Your carrier should also have a block on your phone (using the IMEI number) where no sims can be used. Not sure if this will still work on wifi though. If you changed your password, they cannot send emails through the account either.

When you get a replacement, think about getting something like wave secure, so you can remote wipe the phone or lock it out when a different sim is inserted.

7. danielvago

I read about apps like Wave secure and am kicking myself for not having any.

Unfortunately all the security apps I found cost money, and I live in Denmark where we can only get free apps.

I'm not really comfortable with rooting either, so are there any wave secure - like apps for free?