1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing HTC Desire Keyboard with default android keyboard

Last Updated:

1. PCollins

PCollins New Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know if it is possible to install the stock android keyboard on a HTC Desire running froyo?

I have searched this forum (and others) and have not found anything that has worked so far....

Basically, I think the HTC keyboard is a bit too cluttered, and would prefer to use the default android keyboard (introduced in 2.1 I think, includes a voice entry button to the left of spacebar).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. DesirableHTC

DesirableHTC Well-Known Member

I was just about to start the very same thread when yours came up in the sugestions. You can use the android keyboard with froyo roms, as Leedroid has it installed. I am using SuperVillain ROM and would like to have the stock android keyboard, i have tried flashing the AOSP keyboard but that didnt work. I have even tried moving the android keyboard.apk to system/apps with root explorer with no joy. There must be something els that need doing to make it work, but i dont know what.

Can anyone els help with this?

Thanks

3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

With my SmartKeyboard Pro I can choose the android layout :)
    (includes a voice entry button to the left of spacebar)

Harry

4. benjiharris

benjiharris Well-Known Member

Hi mate,

I started a similar thread on the HTC Desire section for the forum. And I got a great reply from someone on there and have shared the apks needed.

You will find it here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/208936-default-android-keyboard-desire.html#post1815429

Enjoy!