• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Replacing Moto Droid with DInc

gidget

Android Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2009
takoma park, md
after my 4th moto droid (refurb) came with a cracked screen and loose keyboard (seriously, verizon?), they decided to upgrade me to an inc (just had to buy the battery). since it looks to be a better phone (if nothing else, perhaps i will be able to take actual photos with this one; i stopped trying with the droid's crappy camera), i'm okay with this. it will be strange to deal with the sense ui after the moto droid, but i think i can manage. i'm hoping it's not too much of a learning curve. and i'm hoping all my apps that are backed up on sd card will work the same on the htc inc. any thoughts?

also, the verizon instore lady told me that since the phone is so new, they will probably send a new one, because there aren't really any refurbs yet. that doesn't really make sense to me, because it's scheduled to arrive today, and everyone else's new phone is on backorder. i'm assuming it will be a return/refurb. any other opinions on that?

i loved my droid. i just kept getting wacky things happening, like on my last one, where the time/date suddenly set itself to december 1969, and the gps thought i was in alabama (i'm in dc). this happened *twice* on that particular handset before i returned it for the latest refurb with the loose keyboard. and it was a system thing, not an app problem. weirdest problem yet. anyhow, i look forward to trying out this dinc, hope it does me well.

after my 4th moto droid (refurb) came with a cracked screen and loose keyboard (seriously, verizon?), they decided to upgrade me to an inc (just had to buy the battery). since it looks to be a better phone (if nothing else, perhaps i will be able to take actual photos with this one; i stopped trying with the droid's crappy camera), i'm okay with this. it will be strange to deal with the sense ui after the moto droid, but i think i can manage. i'm hoping it's not too much of a learning curve. and i'm hoping all my apps that are backed up on sd card will work the same on the htc inc. any thoughts?

There should not be a big learning curve other than getting used to no physical keyboard (took me a while coming from BBerry). You can always download a Home Replacement like ADW or LauncherPro if you don't want to use Sense.
Also, if you register with the same Google account you did on the Moto, your paid Apps will show up. I would just install App Brain on your Moto and PC and backup your apps with that.

also, the verizon instore lady told me that since the phone is so new, they will probably send a new one, because there aren't really any refurbs yet. that doesn't really make sense to me, because it's scheduled to arrive today, and everyone else's new phone is on backorder. i'm assuming it will be a return/refurb. any other opinions on that?

There are definitely refurbs out there. My suspicion, since they told you that you need a battery is that it is a refurb. You will know by the box it comes in...If you get the "Brown Box", it is a refurb.

I could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing they will give you a brand new Incredible to replace a Moto Droid that you have been having problems with. They won't even replace an Incredible with a *new* Incredible after the 30 days are up.

Of course, I could be wrong!;)

Upvote 0
i totally agree with you, actually. i'm sure there are refurbs out there, even though the phone is so new. someone didn't like it or something was wrong or whatever. i just hope i have better luck with the inc refurb than i did with my droid ones. the way i look at it, though, is i would have just received yet another moto droid refurb, so it's not like my chances are any worse, and if the phone is that much better (as all the reviews seem to suggest), then it might just be better. i'll see what happens, i guess.

oh, and i'm using astro to backup all my apps. i have transferred phones so many times, i'm pretty sure i could re-setup a droid with my eyes closed and one hand tied upside my head. hopefully that will translate to the inc. bring it on!

Upvote 0
i totally agree with you, actually. i'm sure there are refurbs out there, even though the phone is so new. someone didn't like it or something was wrong or whatever. i just hope i have better luck with the inc refurb than i did with my droid ones. the way i look at it, though, is i would have just received yet another moto droid refurb, so it's not like my chances are any worse, and if the phone is that much better (as all the reviews seem to suggest), then it might just be better. i'll see what happens, i guess.

Absolutely!!

There were also most likely a lot of people who bought an Inc as their first smart phone only to realize the monthly cost after adding the data plan was just too high and decided to go back to a regular phone and just returned it.

You have a good outlook on this!!
Good Luck!!

Upvote 0

oh, and i'm using astro to backup all my apps. i have transferred phones so many times, i'm pretty sure i could re-setup a droid with my eyes closed and one hand tied upside my head. hopefully that will translate to the inc. bring it on!

IMO You're making a great switch. I personally have never liked Motorola devices (they've always broken easily for me). HTC devices are very sleek, and this puppy runs like a cheetah! I love my Dinc and have had no thought to even look further. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Upvote 0
Well all I can add is that I'm also in DC and my phone does NOT say I'm in Alabama. So you should be good on that one!

Hopefully you'll be happy with this, my step dad has Droid and I like the Inc MUCH better.

I also was coming to the Inc from a Dare, if I can make that switch without a learning curve, you should be fine. The dare is basically a brick compared to this (function-wise).

Upvote 0
so my issues just keep turning out to be positives.

i got home and there was my refurb inc, but there was just one hitch...no back side. i forgot that replacements come without not just the battery and sd card, but also the back side/battery door. so i had to place another call to verizon, but i got a super nice tech who, for my trouble, is shipping out both the back side and an extended battery for free and overnight! so you know, i think i can live with this slight hitch, right? heh.

i do have to say, for all the trouble i've had with my droid(s) over the last few months, i have never had better customer service than i have had with verizon wireless. which is weird, because years ago, i had a huge problem with verizon in general and their sucky customer service. but with the wireless stuff, it has been very, very good, and everyone has been both crazy responsive and downright extra helpful. the tech even gave me his email addy so i could let him know when i get my stuff tomorrow and he can call me to help me set up. i don't think i need that, but it's like they go the extra, extra mile. i mean, i don't sound *that* sexy over the phone.

i'm really looking forward to giving this thing a test drive... just one more day. the front of it looks nice, and i love the red on the inside (goes with my hair). it'll be fun to be able to do more than just look at it. i'll let you know how that goes.

Upvote 0
IMO You're making a great switch. I personally have never liked Motorola devices (they've always broken easily for me). HTC devices are very sleek, and this puppy runs like a cheetah! I love my Dinc and have had no thought to even look further. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

you know, it's funny, because the 3rd droid i had (which i had the longest, until it put me in 1969 alabama) was put together crazy well. nothing loose, no problems with the casing at all, and i kept it naked for 6 months, not ONE scratch on the glass. not one. then i get this refurb the other day, and out of the box it's got a scratch and the keyboard slide is loose. my first droid would spontaneously restart and then i lost touch ability in part of the screen. these problems, plus all the other, similar stories i've heard about the refurbs, makes me think there are maybe some quality control issues with moto.

i really hope htc doesn't have the same sort of QC problems. i'm really hoping the refurb inc works well. the date on the inside is 6/1/10, so unless someone threw it against a wall, they can't have done much to it, right? here's hoping.

Upvote 0
you know, it's funny, because the 3rd droid i had (which i had the longest, until it put me in 1969 alabama) was put together crazy well. nothing loose, no problems with the casing at all, and i kept it naked for 6 months, not ONE scratch on the glass. not one. then i get this refurb the other day, and out of the box it's got a scratch and the keyboard slide is loose. my first droid would spontaneously restart and then i lost touch ability in part of the screen. these problems, plus all the other, similar stories i've heard about the refurbs, makes me think there are maybe some quality control issues with moto.

i really hope htc doesn't have the same sort of QC problems. i'm really hoping the refurb inc works well. the date on the inside is 6/1/10, so unless someone threw it against a wall, they can't have done much to it, right? here's hoping.

IMO the Razr was the only high quality phone that Motorola ever made. I have heard great things about people having those for 5+ years. A friend of mine had an old WinMo HTC phone that he loved and it was always good to him. I can say I've dropped mine a few times already (I drink too much apparently) and I really only have some scuffs on the corners and one tiny scratch next to the trackpad (who cares). I would suggest to everyone to purchase some sort of protection for it though. I dropped mine right on the top and now 1/2 of my unlock button is extremely sensitive. It's really annoying, but it does not impair my ability to use the phone.

I must also add on the Sense v. Stock argument that I think Sense looks a lot more polished and aesthetically pleasing than Stock. It gives the phone a real feeling of a finished product which is nice.

I'm sure you'll have good luck with it, and if you need any help we're all here willing to help too.

P.S. You must sound *that* sexy on the phone because I NEVER have any luck with Verizon techs. :-/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones