Replacing or deleting the 4 default buttons on Galaxy SSupport

Last Updated:

1. Mikebugz

Mikebugz New Member This Topic's Starter

May I know how to delete or replace the 4 default icons (Dialer, Contacts, Messaging, and Applications) on the Galaxy S main screen? The reason for me doing this is because I wanted to use the Handcent SMS app instead of the default Android SMS app as I am getting used to the Handcent one.

Please help!

Advertisement
  2. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

I don't have the phone so this might not be what you are looking for, but if you don't find another solution you can always install a custom launcher, like AWD Launcher. That will give you lots of customization options, including switching the bottom icons to whatever you want.

3. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a youtube hands-on where the guy said you can customize the 4 icons.

4. Mikebugz

Thanks, I will try to search for the youtube. I have tried almost every possible way - holding it down, dragging it, changing wallpapers then holding it, etc.... it just does not seem to delete it..... sigh...:confused:

barb424 likes this.
  5. Mikebugz

Finally found the answer!!! (not from youtube though...) Firstly you need to click the Application icon to get into the apps screen, next (this is the tricky part), you need to click the soft left key below (I think it is called the menu key) and select EDIT. You will notice some of the icons will have a "Stop Sign" on the top right corner. The 4 default buttons will not have the "Stop Sign". Now you can either drag any of the 4 default icons out onto the apps screen, or drag any of the apps (I dragged my Handcent SMS) to replace the one of the 4 "seats" below.

Hope this will help anyone who is looking for this solution and like a amateur user like myself....

barb424, xmancool, worrell08 and 15 others like this.
  6. Smg

Smg Well-Known Member

Thanks for that none of the Reviews mention that you can change those 4 icons at the bottom this is a great help for when i finally get the phone ! lol :D

barb424 likes this.
  7. goondu

goondu Active Member

Haha.. saw this post too late... Yes, what was described is correct. Another tip:

If you disable auto-brightness display, you can swipe the top screen (task bar area) left or right to adjust the brightness.

Davian, bobtodd, Sparkle1975 and 2 others like this.
  8. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

that is very cool~~~ :cool:

9. sparker366

sparker366 Well-Known Member

When I click the menu key there is no edit selection it only allows me to sort the list

10. deeoh1084

first u need to change the view type to customized view and then u can edit ur own!!!
    1. Click on application on the bottom right of the screen
    2. Press the menu button (the one with the 3 lines u know which one right?)
    3. Click on the view type
    4. Change it to the "customized grid view"
    5. then press the menu button again and u will see the "EDIT" with the "VIEW TYPE" next to it

pcboudreau, Rotorhead and big_mike like this.
  11. sparker366

sparker366 Well-Known Member

Thanks much still learning this whole adnroid stuff. Not used to the openness of the phone compared to the iphone.

12. deeoh1084

ur more than welcome and i am still trying to get use to this vibrant which i really love (TOuchWiz 3.0 is way way way better than Sense UI i think because it's so much easier and more fun too actually i used mytouch slide for couple days and i hated it.... because of the UI but this is just my personal opinion people!!) i think samsung did it right this time and welcome to ANDROID world where u have all the freedom unlike the iphone!!:D

13. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Whilst we are here.... here's another tip when using the 'Apps List'.
    I don't know if you have noticed but when you uninstall an App it leaves an empty gap where the shortcut icon was placed.
    This gap is only filled when you next install another new app.
    Not only that but unless you use an alternative Home screen such as LauncherPro, the shortcuts are installed not in alphabetical (you need list view for this) but in the order they were installed.

However, you can re-order the list of shortcuts apps to get rid of the blank spaces or better still re-order the shortcut list in any order you wish.

i.e. You can place all GPS apps together, then all Utils, Games etc, etc.
    What you have to do is whilst in Edit mode (explained in a previous post above), click and drag the icon to any place you wish.
    This can be performed not just on the page where the shortcut lays but you can drag the shortcut to any page by placing the shortcut to either the left/right of the screen.

I've re-ordered my list and when I install a new app I move it to what I call a 'Group List'.
    Now when I want to find say GPS, in my case I simply click on page 4 and there I find all my GPS related shortcuts.

barb424 likes this.
  14. TheAwesomeJonesy

TheAwesomeJonesy New Member

Thanks so much, MikeBugz! I've been trying to figure this out for ages!

15. bhfd64

bhfd64 New Member

I've been fighting this for days. Thanks!

16. RodSimmons

RodSimmons New Member

17. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

But if you have a lot of apps, this can take a very long time...

18. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

It's all a matter of personal choice really but I understand what you are saying...

I have 10 Pages of Apps. Once getting into the swing of knowing which page is associated to what type of App it then becomes as slow as swiping the App to the relevant page... didn't take me too long but the benefit in the end meant all I had to do was click on the dot at the top of the screen to jump immediately to the required paged items.

When you uninstall a particular App it leaves that space free.

19. belveder

belveder Member

thanks for this, it works on the Galaxy Note as well except for replacing the Applications icon but 4 is better than none lol

20. barb424

barb424 Member

excellent answer.. was so annoying having icons i didnt use there... appreciate your input here..