• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Replacing screen. Is digitizer and glass attached or separate from each other?

Dreyeice

Lurker
Jan 24, 2012
I have done many iphone repairs before because they are simple, but as far as this HTC EVO 3D goes, ive never even seen one.

i havto repair one for a freind and she says the glass is to the point of "cutting her" in some spots over the glass, so it needs to be done.

on ebay i see the hTC EVO 3D glass as just the glass, around 20$, but is the LCD fused to the glass? or is the LCD attached the the mainboard like some of the early iphones and the glass can be swapped out easily?

when i do iphone 4's i havto buy the glass+LCD assembly because there glued together, for this repair, will i be ok buying just the glass?

Thanks

also, by "glass" i mean digitizer :D

I just did a quick look on XDA, and I found this:

[GUIDE] Replacing your HTC Evo 3D Screen - xda-developers

It looks like the LCD is attached to the glass. Or, at least, the guy didn't attempt to separate the glass from the LCD.

In this video, towards the end (~6 min mark) the guy hits the glass with a hot air soldering set at 420 to remove the glass from the LCD. So, to answer your question, no the glass/digitizer is not separate from the LCD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8u5Wa3Odak

But these guys on XDA claim that you can use a hair dryer or a heat gun to remove it.

[Q] Broken glass - xda-developers

You might be able to find more specifics if you use Google with some good keywords, but that should give you a pretty clear idea.

Upvote 0
From working with heat guns and removing heatsinks that had epoxy on them, there will be a fair bit of glue on both the LED and glass. It won't be a complete removal on both sides. If not, you should be able to find some glue that will work.

But I did find this:

HTC EVO 4G Glass Touch Screen Digitizer + LCD Repair Guide

It's for the Evo 4G, but I'd assume the assembly of the device, specifically the bezel, digitizer, glass, and LCD screen are very similar.

Upvote 0
Hello, i own an htc evo 3D on the rogers gsm network here in canada, however i need to replace the lcd and digitizer, going to replace the housing while im at it, just keeping the insides, however looking on ebay everything i have seen says sprint, housing lcd etc which is cdma. What im wondering is if that will work for my gsm phone, will the connections for my motherboard work for that version if i swap out the screen for the others, now i can keep everything for my phone including the spot my sim would connect to, except the lcd, and front/back housing, thosw would be swapped out. Thanks in advance if anyone can answer :)

Upvote 0
Its a royal PITA to replace the digitizer on the evo 3d. My screen was spider web cracked severely and i saw moisture underneath and was afraid my lcd was also cracked. Lucky my digitizer was just cracked but it is time consuming to replace.

There is so much glue. The lcd is glued down to a metal carriage while the digitizer is glued to the lcd screen. It will require a lot of patience and a heat gun/hair dryer for 1 minute. The hardest part is removing the old digitizer ribbon cable as it is wedged under the lcd carriage and then re-routing it back through. Another tough part is removing the plastic tabs on the old digitizer that cover the buttons and placing them exactly back on the digitizer.

Being patient and careful it should take you at least one hour to change it. I would almost say pay sprint the $100 to replace is incase they mess something up you are not sol. I would personally not do it again and just save myself the hour or two it took me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqJy6PL6Xs

here is a video that explains everything. it is 44mins long if that explains anything

Upvote 0
I replaced the screen on my HTC Evo V last night, same phone as Evo 3d ( just virgin mobile's version).

The screen is separate from the LCD and I was able to lift the adhesive with a pry tool and guitar picks. No heat gun was needed, I was just very careful.

Everything is back together and working fine. However, I'm concerned about the 3m adhesive I used holding its grip longterm. The frame is also slightly bent in a couple places from drops, and there are a couple spots with gaps in between the frame and screen.

I was wondering if there is some type of safe to use substance (silicon?) I could fill these gaps with to ensure the touchscreen stays in place.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not worried about the warranty I've already voided it.

Tom

Reactions: EllieS
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones