Replacing SD card in AceSupport

Last Updated: 2012-11-27 16:51:04
  1. Smudgeboy

Smudgeboy Member

Hi all, newbie to the world of Android, and not very tech-savvy, so please be patient with me! :)

I want to replace the pathetic 2Gb SD card that comes with my Galaxy Ace with a ScanDisk 8Gb card.

I tried the obvious - going to Samsung Kies to see if that helped - nada! Useless piece of kit, slow, crashy, uuurrgh! Anyway . . .

I then wondered if it would be as simple as taking the old card out and simply putting the new one in (especially because I don't have much in the way of photos on the old one, and no music/videos etc).

However, when I did this, i noticed that some of the Apps were no longer available, so it's obviously not that simple.

It probably IS reasonably simple if you know how, but I don't. Anybody care to walk me through it?

Cheers, Smudge

Advertisement
  2. ayush29k

ayush29k Well-Known Member

You are over-thinking this, its very simple, just use a card reader or use the phone's usb mass storage mode to access the sd card from the pc and copy everything on the card to the new card. Thats it!
  3. Smudgeboy

Smudgeboy Member

I tried this:

I connected the phone to my PC via USB cable, and it appeared as "Removable Disk (H)" in the left column of My Computer. In the right column are about 20 directories, which I copied to a folder on my desktop.

I then took out the old card, inserted the new one and, after following a prompt to re-format the new disk, I re-connected it to the PC - and saw exactly the same 20 directories.

Do I delete all these 20 and replace them with the original ones; or is there one directory in there that is the dedicated SD card directory?

(Told you I wasn't very tecchy!)
  4. ayush29k

ayush29k Well-Known Member

Just replace all, check the hidden folders also, make sure you get them all, especially the .android_secure folder, it contains all your sd card apps.
    Smudgeboy likes this.
  5. Smudgeboy

Smudgeboy Member

OK, I inserted the new card and connected the phone to the PC. Then, when I clicked on the 'Removable Disk (H)' on My Computer, I get a pop-up box saying 'Please insert a drive in H:'

So I couldn't copy anything across.

I disconnected the phone from the PC, unmounted the new SD card and formatted t, and now when I connect it to the PC, it doesn't appear in My Computer at all.

Incredibly frustrating.
  6. sleezecheeze

sleezecheeze Well-Known Member

When you connected the USB did you check your phone and select the notification that says something like 'USB device connected?'. It's a little mistake but I've done it plenty often myself before :)

I did what you did, simply took out my old one and put in a new 8GB sandisk one and it works fine with no problems.
    Smudgeboy likes this.
  7. Smudgeboy

Smudgeboy Member

Hi Sleezecheeze

I haven't tried that - where on the phone would that open be?

Cheers
  8. Smudgeboy

Smudgeboy Member

Found it, did it - it works!

Thanks guys for your help.