Replacing the SD card

1. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

I've ordered a 16GB SD card to replace the 4GB SD card that T-Mobile supplied. Obviously, there are files already on the SD card, so what I intend to do is:

1) Connect the Desire to my PC and copy all the files to a temporary folder.

2) Disconnect the Desire.

3) Unmount the SD Card and turn the Desire off.

4) Remove the existing SD card.

5) Insert the new SD card.

6) Turn the Desire back on (not sure whether I need to mount the SD card again).

7) Connect the Desire to my PC.

8) Copy all the files from the temporary folder to the new SD card.

This makes sense, but I'm just concerned that it might mess up any applications before I've copied the files onto the new SD card. I don't have a card reader, so can't copy the files before inserting it.

Update:

I've just read Upgrade sdcard howto - Android Forums and it seems to agree with my procedure.

Does anybody have any other ideas? I don't want to break my lovely Desire.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Advertisement
  2. Proudest_Monkey

Proudest_Monkey Well-Known Member

As long as the cards are formatted in the same way shouldn't make any difference what-so-ever. If all else fails, you still have the original card that you can swap back in until you learn how to do it.

Let us know?
  3. matt542

matt542 Well-Known Member

I've just done exactly what you described . Had the 4gb , and got the 16gb one. Unmount the first one , then turn off ( not sure if this is necessary) . Take the back off and put in the new SD card . Turn the phone back on and the card is all ready - then just transfer the files once connected to the pc .
  4. stuk71

stuk71 Member

Still waiting for mine to arrive, But have ordered a 16gb SD too - So thanks for the heads up guys...
  5. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

I just formatted old 8gb SD card i had in fat-32 i think. Then unmounted 4gb SD, installed the 8gb card. I didnt bother transfering any of the files from the old 4gb card and it hasnt affected anything apart from loosing some of the wallpapers n stuff supplied.
  6. RobDickson

@Proudest_Monkey: The SD card will be formatted as it left the factory. However, I think the Desire has a Format SD card feature, so that shouldn't be a problem.

@mat452: I think I'll be turning mine off, even if it isn't necessary.

@Bearo: I think I'll copy the contents, because it has the manuals, the HTCSync program, and, presumably, any pictures that I've taken already.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how I get on.
  7. RobDickson

I eventually got around to replacing the SD card and everything went OK.

@mat452: Surely turning it off is necessary, because you have to remove the battery to access the SD card.

Thanks for your help.
  8. SurfXombie

SurfXombie Well-Known Member

Just doing mine now..
    Formatted the new 16Gb SD Card
    Power down phone (set screen to never time-out so you know it's turned off)
    Remove old 4Gb SD card
    Copy contents of old SD card to PC (including hidden stuff)
    Copy these then to new SD card
    Pop back in phone and bingO!

Fingers crossed
  9. bal52

bal52 New Member

Maybe post not used but I tried coping files from uSD card when connected to PC thru a card reader. It complained about 3 files and stated cannot copy to destination because of 'long' file name. I may run into sam problem if I try by connecting phone directly to PC - anyone know why this might be happening and any possible solutions.

Thanks
  10. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

If you're in the UK, check out Amazon Black Friday deals

On Monday I picked up a 32Gb class 10 Lexar Micro SD card. Normal price