Req:1.6 Update Reports - Is it any good?

Last Updated:

1. sisquoc15

sisquoc15 Member

Please only respond to this thread if you have the 1.6 update running.

How is it?
    How does it compare to the Take5/Galaxy ROMs?
    Is it still crashing during calls?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. inaz4sun

inaz4sun Well-Known Member

Can compare it to anything but 1.5 on my BH2, but for me it's WAY faster. It's not dramatically different in terms of the OS, but the Google Navigation is great, and the new Market is cool. It's definitely better than 1.5. I have gone 3 days with no issues with my previously always corrupting memory card either. All in all I am happy with the improvements. Yes its not 2.x but it's better than 1.5.
    sisquoc15 likes this.
  3. fwph

fwph Member

As I posted in another thread, (a) my battery life is dropping much faster, and it's not just a calibration issue, since it died completely for the first time in months the other day (this is without any gps/wifi/location/3g/etc. setting changes). Taskiller seems to be helping some today, but I'll see how it goes. Calibration is also an issue, but I don't think that's the full picture.

(b) I'm finding I have to remove and reinstall some apps because they have somehow lost permission to write to the sdcard. It's annoying, but removing/reinstalling does seem to be a workaround.

(c) I don't think the random reboot problem has been solved; I haven't seen it reboot so far, but there have been some app resets that only happen after a reboot or an explicit kill.

Edit:
    Confirmed, the random reboot still occurs.

It's nice to finally be able to access a few more apps that require 1.6. I'm not willing to say that it's actually faster yet. It definitely hasn't changed my mind about ditching this phone, which I plan to do later this week.
    sisquoc15 likes this.
  4. Mastermind278

Mastermind278 Well-Known Member

The 1.6 from the update is better and more stable than the EARLY release 1.6 TWIZ. However the battery life has dramatically decreased.
  5. culo77

culo77 Well-Known Member

the navigation thing is sweet, getting apps that are not 1.5 is sweet, getting swype is cool.

having the battery die in 10 hours SUX, crazy force closes on everything from stock android settings force closing to other apps FC'ing SUX.

losing spare parts due to FC's SUX, i find my phone slower SUX,

having to uninstall every app and reinstall to try and speed up/stop the force closing SUX.

It looks like i am just going to pay the EFT and get a iPhone 4 and hold it correctly. (need to find a way to explain that expense to the wife, but i will still try)
  6. Mastermind278

Mastermind278 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think that this version of 1.6 is a lot more stable. It runs a lot faster as well. I used to get many FCs on the earlier leak, however so far I have yet to receive a FC on the updated version. But of course I do agree about the battery life being a lot worse now.
  7. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

This is getting annoying that I (and the majority of other users) haven't received the update yet. Should I call and check the IMEI number or whatever?
  8. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Yes...I know TMO had a lot of wrong IMEI numbers (including mine for both my original and replacement BH2). And it's possible that they could force the update for you.
  9. brightsn

brightsn Active Member

Only the CSRs are telling everyone who calls that it simply isn't possible to push the update to a single phone.
  10. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

So I contacted CSR to see if my IMEI was correct. Sure enough, it was listed as my old phone. Nice work TMobile. What a douchy company.
  11. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

Exactly. They say that the OTA resides on a server and that the server kicks out the update - (in the case of the June 21st-25th run) nightly btw 11PM and 6AM. They also say that there may be an extension. However, a few days ago, I put in a trouble ticket regarding it so that they know via my IMEI specifically, that I did not receive the update.

Nothing rec'd yet. Worst case: They issue me *yet* another B2 which has the update on it. I have tentatively decided to get the HTC Desire in August and call it a day. There isn't another phone out there other than the N1 or The Droid X that appeals to me.
  12. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

does the Desire work on an Stateside network?
    I have the Droid Incredible which is aptly named. The desire should be almost as good.
  13. Sbgdcg4905

Sbgdcg4905 New Member

Got it last night and am very pleased with it. The swype keyboard is great!!! The market update looks good along with all the new things available for download. It's a shame Samsung has left this phone for dead as this update shows the potential the phone has if given some attention by the makers. I read 2.2 used fewer resources than 2.1 or 1.6....curious how it would run on BH2. I'm afraid we'll never know.
  14. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

As-is...no. The European version of the Desire is said not to be 3G/UMTS compatible. But according to HTC's official Twitter account posting Twitter / HTC: It?s official ?HTC Desire ..., the USA version will drop in August. I cannot believe that they would bring it here w/o 3G at a minimum and preferably with 4G capabilities and Froyo on board . That is my wish of course. The Desire is such a gorgeous beast.

[​IMG]
  15. Emi2010

Emi2010 Member

the only issue that iv had with the update so far is that it randomly jus restarts, but its a little bit faster, and it is better other then my problem
  16. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

The Desire is Just a better looking N1.
  17. eugenile

eugenile Well-Known Member

I'm going back to the BH_man take5 1.6 with no touch wiz.

The official seems ok, but the bloatware, no thanks.
  18. rleal2010

rleal2010 Well-Known Member

There is a 1.6 oem update rom with no bloatware.

:)