[REQ] Ad-hoc wireless network support

Last Updated:

1. scarecrow95

scarecrow95 Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I have a wi-fi adapter and I can make an ad-hoc network from my PC but can't use it as an access point via Connectify or Virtual Router. I tried getting a physical router, but had so many problems that I eventually gave up! I know there are lots of programmers out here, so can anyone put up a hack/mod for supporting ad-hoc networks on the Droid 1?

Advertisement
  2. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

What is it you are trying to set up? Are you intending to use the ad-hoc net from your PC to connect to the Droid 3G access? Or are you wanting to connect the Droid to your PC to use the internet connection of the PC?

3. scarecrow95

Internet connection of the PC on my droid, kind of like reverse wireless tethering...

4. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

Sorry, scarecrow, I've been gone for a few days so didn't get back to you on this.

Anyway, so how is it your are connecting your PC to your ISP? wifi or ethernet?

I read about both and they do support (re)sharing of a wifi connection; seems Connectify and Virtual Router are only for Windows 7 due to the advanced networking API, is your PC upgraded to Windows 7?

5. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

If you don't have Windows 7 you can buy a USB WiFi Dongle. Basically it's the size of a thumb drive and you put it into your USB Drive and it creates a WiFi Connection using your computer. Google "USB WiFi Dongle".

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

It is completely beyond me why Android doesn't support ad-hoc networks. :(

But yeah, look into Connectify, it's only for Windows 7 but it allows you to project a WPA2-secured access point.

7. scarecrow95

I already have a USB Wifi dongle, but the problem is that not all wifi dongles support Access Point mode and hence are not compatible with either Connectify or Virtual Router. I am running on Windows 7 and have tried both without any success.
    No problem cwcheese, better late than never ;) I am connected via ethernet.

8. scarecrow95

That kind of network is exactly what the Android devices DO NOT support out of the box :(