Request: App to change the camera's output file format

Last Updated:

1. damonab

damonab New Member This Topic's Starter

I am an owner of the new HTC Incredible (loving it) which boasts an 8 megapixel camera, however I feel that pictures taken with it do not achieve the level of quality an 8MP camera could afford. I have done a reasonable amount of searching, using google and crawling through forums, looking for a way to change how the camera saves its photos. To this end I have seen several apps that offer more effects than I could ever use (most being novelty) and a few apps that offer control of jpg quality settings (which do not appear to be beyond what is available within the phone already).

I do realize that this "phone" is many things; while one of those things is a camera, it is not meant to be a complete substitute for a standalone mid range to high end camera. However, with 8MP it should be able to compete more directly with some standalone point and shoot type cameras, minus the (limited) optical zoom some of the later have.

*Sorry for the wordiness, to the point...*

Would it be possible to modify the default camera app on this phone, or any other android device, to add the ability to save photos with different jpg compression settings or, preferably, in other formats (in my order of preference: raw, tiff, png). The jpg compression, even at "high quality" setting, creates color and geometry artifacts which outputs a picture that might as well have been taken with the 3MP camera my last phone had. Sure, using other file formats will have impacts on time, battery life, and storage due to processing and writing larger files. This would be an option though (use at will) and while many people would stick with the default jpg settings, I am sure many people would like the option for specific usages and others would opt to use it full time.

Thanks for your time and any feedback on this idea,
    damon

Advertisement
    Zissis Theocharis likes this.
  2. Zissis Theocharis

Zissis Theocharis New Member

TOTALY on to that, i have SONY EXPERIA with 8.1MEGAPIXEL There must be a way to take raw pics ... is there any app for that?

3. IanGClifton

IanGClifton Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, a given megapixel rating on a phone's camera is rarely going to be as good as the same on even a basic point-and-shoot camera. The problem is that the phone is using a significantly smaller sensor. The smaller sensor means that it is working with less data to create a large image.

That said, it is possible to grab the raw photo data (and when I saw "raw" I mean the actual bytes representing the image not a company's raw format like a CR2 or similar) within an application, so someone can potentially write an app that outputs to a variety of formats and even applies some solid algorithms for noise reduction, sharpness correction, white balance, etc. I'd absolutely love an app that has some good camera features like this because I don't carry around my 7D unless I know I'll be taking pictures, but I always have my phone with me. Unfortunately, this is well beyond my abilities as a developer. I hope someone can pick it up though!

4. pauling

pauling New Member