Request for a List of Root Related Terminology!

Last Updated:

1. dabomb224

dabomb224 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so to be blunt, I consider myself to be a fairly tech-savy person with a mild understanding of coding and such. I am, however, completely new to the Android OS as of my Droid X purchase (back on launch day).

Since my purchase, I have immersed myself in the world of rooting and bootloaders and such, but I'm finding that the amount of knowledge and terms that I need to learn is expanding faster than I can bring it in. Last weekend I was learning how to manually root, and now suddenly there are people excitedly discussing Custom Recovery, Custom Kernals, Froyo leaks, Signed Roms, and much much more.

In short, I am hopelessly overwhelmed.

As far as I can tell, there is no one definitive list of Android "hacking" terminology. This is what I am hoping to change. Consider this a shout out to all of you Android wizards out there. Let's build something that will not only serve as a guide to the software-familiar like me, but act as a sledgehammer to Android's barriers of entry for the complete lay person as well.

Let's build a guide to the lingo of the Android hacking world. Anyone down with the idea?

Advertisement
    sund0wn and Paycer like this.
  2. dabomb224

Here's a very brief article that I found that explain the most basic aspects of whole process: from rooting to custom ROM instillation.

It's not even close to what I'm hoping for, but it's certainly a good starting point for the completely uninitiated.

3. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

this could be a good idea, good starting words:

Root
    Encrypted Bootloader
    Locked Bootloader
    Custom Rom
    Full Recovery
    Boot Hack Recovery
    Leak
    Motorola - A$$hol3s who don't respect the philosophy of Open Source
    ADB
    Terminal Emulator
    Overclocking
    Themes

just a simple list of things that could help the beginner understand the wonderful world of the green robot

dabomb224 likes this.
  4. dabomb224

I think that this list is an excellent start. Specifically, I find that I personally lack familiarity with the different Recovery and Bootloader terms.

5. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

I, too, would find a terminology list for beginners extremely helpful. I spent days trying to get everything straightened out when I first got my phone. Now I'm rooted, have themes, and a recovery, but there's still so much I don't understand. Hopefully we can have some more experienced android experts compile some sort of list. :)

6. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Just a start

-Root:D- gives your phone superuser permissions, so you have access to any file on your phone

-ADB-short for Android debug bridge, its the link between your computer and your phone. You can do things like pull files off your phone, edit them. and then push them back. More here

-Terminal Emulator- this is like adb for your phone but you are limited to move around files that are already on your phone

-Recovery- this is where the phone boots into to install updates from Moto

-Encrypted bootloader- Makes it so that only updates that contain the encryption key will pass, so for us Dx users unless the update we are trying to install is signed by Moto it will fail in the stock recovery

-Bootstrap Recovery- Is a mod by the koush that hijacks the boot process so that we can boot into our own custom recovery and install updates that are not signed by Moto

-ROM- this is a custom Android OS, either a dev modified an existing Android build or built it straight from Android source

-Sbf file- this is a file that allows your phone to be returned to a working state if it is stuck in a bootloop and you cannot get into the custom recovery

-Overclocking- allows you to push your phone past where Moto decided to set the clock speed of the phone

topdj and dabomb224 like this.
  7. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

i'm thinking STICKY!

8. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

Busybox - The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux. Allows the phone to use standard linux commands, such as mv, cp, chmod, etc...

Bootloader mode - a mode in which the phone can be connected via USB to a computer, to receive a complete firmware flash. (this is done on the x by holding camera + volume down, and powering on the phone)

RSD - remote software download. A Motorola program that will flash an .sbf file to the device.

Nandroid - a complete image of the phone. a function of koush's bootstrap recovery, that allows the user to make a complete backup of their entire phone, that can be reverted to in case of failure.

debugging mode - allows the computer to communicate with the device.

themes - changing the appearance of certain aspects of the UI, usually to make them look like a different phone model (ie. notification bar, clock, notification icons)

UI - User Interface each brand uses their own version of android, which has its own feel, widgets, etc. (ie. MotoBlur, HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz)

(i am by no means an expert, so PLEASE feel free to correct or add to what i've posted.)

Exiled and dabomb224 like this.
  9. dabomb224

10. dabomb224

11. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Hope no one minds referencing another site, I was looking for a good definition of "deodex" (an oldie but a goodie :rolleyes:) to contribute to this thread, but I found this: A Dummies Guide to Android Terminology & Lingo

Its got a lot of good stuff in there too.

Don't want to copy/paste too much, but here's their deodex definition:

"De-odex: Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything." [edit: think "themes"]

Cheers!

dabomb224 likes this.