REQUEST: Google Calendar Quick Add Widget

Last Updated:

1. chadmd23

chadmd23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would like a widget that allows plain text entry of calendar events, like the interface on the real website. Here is an example of how it could look.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Addikit

Addikit New Member

This would be amazing. Not to mention even if the full google calendar had the option of quick add.

3. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Already exists, I downloaded one and tried it, searching today I see "Calendar add new event" wich says add new event frm home screen with one tap. I can't recall the name of the other one, I may still have it installed. I'll have to look closer.

4. chadmd23

I've found plenty of stuff that will take you to the regular calendar add, but I specifically want to add items with just a text input. I was looking at saving time as opposed to scrolling through the date and time, etc.

5. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

My app, QwikList Voice, will have a quick add to your Google Calendar feature in a version to be released Sunday night.

6. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

The widget is up. Allows quick adding to calendar phrases like "meet joe tomorrow at 3" from the widget either manually, using voice recognition, or by selecting an item in the list (editable in all cases prior to sending). QwikList Voice in Android Market.

7. chadmd23

Sounds great! But I don't see it in the OS 1.5 market (don't laugh). Is it not compatible yet or can you post the apk?

8. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

I have just tested it in the 1.5 emulator. There do not appear to be any problems with it, but I can't test the voice functionality on the 1.5. The quick add function (manually) works fine in 1.5. I will be uploading a 1.5 version shortly.

As an FYI, to use the quick add functionality you will need to input your gmail id and password. There is no way to get a hold of Google authentication in 1.5 and 1.6 that you put into the OS. This information is not stored anywhere on the phone unless you explicitly set the checkmark. If you do decide to store it, your password is encrypted prior to storage on the device.

**EDIT: 1.5 version is up. Let me know if you have any issues. **

9. chadmd23

I'm getting a 401 error when I try to add an item. I reentered my email and login, but that didn't help.

10. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

OK, I will look into it. You're putting in your full email address "xyz@gmail.com" and password "abcde"? 401 is unauthorized error, so there is a problem with your credentials for some reason.

** EDIT: I retested the add function with a dummy gmail account and didn't encounter any problems. Are you sure you put the password in right? **

11. chadmd23

oops, it was my password screwing it up. It's working correctly, thanks!

12. Stolz25

Stolz25 Well-Known Member

I like Qwiklist, but why do I have to double confirm adding an event to the calendar? At the bottom after I say something I hit the calendar button, then it brings up another page confirming my gmail login (which won't change). It would be nice if I could skip that step since it's unnecessary.

13. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

I included this step to be able to edit the add before sending it off, because the voice recognition provided by Google is sometimes goofy, and even when accurate sometimes doesn't include everything you want to add. This allows quick easy edit and one button add if everything is as you like it.

14. Stolz25

So why not have that edit option on the first page with the Qwik send to calendar button? You can see what it recorded there and re-record it if you like, so how about putting in an edit option? Or maybe an option to skip the second confirm if you want to?

15. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

This is in fact a really good idea and something I have been thinking about doing as it would be an easy and useful change. Look for it in a release soon.

16. Stolz25

Good to hear. I've never actually used a calendar on any phone I've had (mostly because it's a huge pain typing everything in). I'm hoping your app changes that. It's certainly made it much easier, now it's just up to me to stay organized.

17. cbanning

cbanning Well-Known Member

Very new user here, so be patient.
    The voice to text only works with 2.1?
    Does the current QwikList voice work on the Eris with 1.5, but only as text input?

18. Stolz25

Voice to text works on the version I have and I'm running 2.01. Sorry on the delay answering this.

19. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

Just to clarify: Android 1.5 OS and up included "RecognizerIntent" which allowed voice to text. I have reports of the program working on phones running 1.5, including (I believe) the Eris. However, there ARE phones where the voice to text has been disabled for whatever ludicrous reason. These include the Samsung Moment (Sprint) and certain internation versions of the Motorola Milestone. Bottom line: if you can use Google Voice Search/Voice Dialer, QwikList will work.

QwikList will also work with manual text entry any on any phone 1.5 or higher, including the Moment and the Milestone.

20. Stolz25

Have a new question for this. When I use the qwik add cal button I want it added to my calendar, but it also adds it to my to do list (or shopping, depending on which I have set to default), which I don't want. Is there a setting I can change for that?

21. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

Not at present, but I can easily add it. I am planning an update for tomorrow or early next week, and I will include it in preferences there. The reason I did this is because if the add fails (out of network range, server failure, error in username/password) then you would have to reinput your add phrase. This way, you can just go to the list and by long pressing attempt to add it again quickly.

Another alternative would be to create an additional "Quick Cal Add" list where all the items get put into that list; this way they don't end up in your shopping list but are stored so you can retry if there is a failure. What do you think?

22. Stolz25

This would work. I didn't even know trying to re-add this way was an option, but it's good to know in the future.

23. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

That sounds like a reasonable way to proceed. You can press and hold on both lists and items to bring up the context menu which lets you edit, delete, share, send by sms, etc etc. The update I am working on will let you drag left or right in the items screen to move to the next/previous list. It will also include the improvement you have suggested.

24. Stolz25

Thanks much, sounds great.

25. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

Sorry, next update will change this behavior.