• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Require password to use or remove camera from lock screen on my Nexus 6P

Dluvr22

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
I'm looking for options to either remove my camera or prevent it from being accessed from my lock screen on my Nexus 6P. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a kid who the moment I put any of my devices down and turns around starts taking pictures of herself on my device. I told her over and over again that my device is not a toy for her to play with but kids these days can't seem to help themselves with all this selfie nonsense. I've removed the camera application completely from my other devices for this very reason however I would still like to have the camera on my Nexus but just not so easily accessible. I understand that I won't be able to take quick photos of anything but that a price I'm willing to pay.

I've googled this but all the results I've gotten so far are the opposite with options to quickly access the camera.

I've removed the camera application completely from my other devices for this very reason however I would still like to have the camera on my Nexus but just not so easily accessible.

I wonder, can you remove (or disable) the camera app altogether on this phone too? If you can, then maybe use a different camera app that can not be opened from the lock screen. Another thought I had is maybe find a different lockscreen app that has no camera shortcut or is customisable.

Upvote 0
I use Avast Mobile. You can choose the Aps you wish to lock. I pay $2.49 a month. It includes call blocker, apps locking, app permissions, settings, etc. I have used Avast for my computer and my cell phones. I find it to be very reliable. Some versions are free. I pay a small extra amount so I can have more piece of mind.:)

Upvote 0
I wonder, can you remove (or disable) the camera app altogether on this phone too? If you can, then maybe use a different camera app that can not be opened from the lock screen. Another thought I had is maybe find a different lockscreen app that has no camera shortcut or is customisable.

I tried disabling the camera app altogether as it was the only option I had. It is annoying because whenever I want to use the camera app I have to enable it first .
On one or two occasions where I've forgotten to disable it immediately after using, I've come back to my phone only to find more pictures on it.

I also tried using 3rd party camera apps after disabling my default camera. The experience range from apps that crash constantly to apps that work for the most part. Unfortunately all of the ones that I've tried invariably default to using the power button shortcut which defeats the purpose as they can all be opened regardless of the fact that the phone is locked or unlocked .

On the other hand, my girlfriend has the Nexus 5S which allows you to set it up such that the password or fingerprint is required for you to use the camera even from the power button shortcut. Sadly she does not seem to remember which menu option she found it under so I can't check to see if my phone has a similar option hidden somewhere.

Upvote 0
I use Avast Mobile. You can choose the Aps you wish to lock. I pay $2.49 a month. It includes call blocker, apps locking, app permissions, settings, etc. I have used Avast for my computer and my cell phones. I find it to be very reliable. Some versions are free. I pay a small extra amount so I can have more piece of mind.:)

I might give that a shot and see.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately all of the ones that I've tried invariably default to using the power button shortcut which defeats the purpose as they can all be opened regardless of the fact that the phone is locked or unlocked .
The power button shortcut is an option in:

settings>display>press power button twice for camera

So if that is your only problem you should be able to turn it off.

Upvote 0
The power button shortcut is an option in:

settings>display>press power button twice for camera

So if that is your only problem you should be able to turn it off.

Unfortunately no that's not the only problem. The camera is still accessible from the lock screen with the icon in the lower right corner. That means it can still be accessed while the phone is locked. The intent here is to completely eliminate the ability for anyone to use the camera and take pictures with my phone when I put it down.

Upvote 0
What I mean is:
1 disable double tap power button shortcut
2 use a camera app that does not have a lockscreen shortcut
or
2 use a lockscreen that does not have a camera shortcut

The first 2 cameras I tried had a shortcut for the lockscreen, but then I tried Next Lock Screen from Microsoft, and I had to give permission for it to access the camera.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
That was the original ask when I started this thread. Either remove the icon or prevent it and the button from being accessed via a passcode. Uzetaab mentioned using Next Lock Screen but I still haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. are you saying there is a way to move the camera icon from the default lock screen?

If there is I wouldn't mind going that route either.

Upvote 0
yes, go into settings under Lockscreen, there is an option there to display the camera.
Uncheck the box, and the icon is gone.

. Lockscreen.png

Upvote 0
I'm looking for options to either remove my camera or prevent it from being accessed from my lock screen on my Nexus 6P. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have a kid who the moment I put any of my devices down and turns around starts taking pictures of herself on my device. I told her over and over again that my device is not a toy for her to play with but kids these days can't seem to help themselves with all this selfie nonsense. I've removed the camera application completely from my other devices for this very reason however I would still like to have the camera on my Nexus but just not so easily accessible. I understand that I won't be able to take quick photos of anything but that a price I'm willing to pay.

I've googled this but all the results I've gotten so far are the opposite with options to quickly access the camera.

I just set up ES App Locker for my Nexus 6P camera app and it prevents the camera app from being opened from the lock screen and from the double press of the lock button shortcut. Now when the camera is opened from the lock screen, it displays a white screen for a few seconds and then returns to the lock screen, once the phone is unlocked there is a prompt to unlock the camera app. I set this up because my friends like to take pictures of their balls if you leave your phone unattended.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones