• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ReRoot A Captivate now running 2.2?

I am wondering if it is ok to use the superone click rooting method (or any rooting method) on my Samsung Captivate now running froyo 2.2. I am relatively new to this stuff so let me fill you in on what I have done so far:
I rooted my Captivate fine no problem and I was granted super user permissions with the app that was installed after I rebooted. Then I downloaded the Titanium Backup and Busy Box applications out of the market. No problem. I removed all my ATT Bloatware from the phone by uninstalling them no problem phone is working great. HERE IS WHERE I MESSED UP! I didnt back up all my apps like I was supposed to on Titanium Back up and when I upgraded and put froyo 2.2 in my phone I basically lost everything, all my apps....my superuser app my titanum backup and my busy box included. Not only that when I upgraded to 2.2 it also reloaded all the Bloatware back onto my phone which I do not want, Family Maps, Att Maps Att Music etc...And the 2.2 is running perfect on my phone and I have no problems I would just like the superuser permissions and I would like to get rid of this junk that came preloaded on the 2.2 version.

So I guess my question is, did I also lose my 1st root? And can I root it again without bricking it up? Thanks in advance and I hope this is enough info.

by flashing the leaked 2.2 it does not matter whjat you did to your phone, everythning was undone and replaced. Also by going to 2.2 you also undid the root. So now you are back at square one. You need to root your phone, reinstall busybox and TiBU to remove the AT&T bloatware; but make ure you backup your stock apps 1st. There is a thread here on how to root 2.2' if you get stuck, PM me.

Reactions: Marinate305
Upvote 0
Thanks J, I can do all that I have no problem there is a easy one click method now that shouldnt be a problem. Quick question I guess what app or how should I backup all my apps I currently have? Is there something in the market that backs them up that doesnt require a root? And when I rooted the 1st time I never lost any apps, I will this time? Thanks again. I am going to root it up again and you suggest "freezing" or "uninstalling" the bloatware?

Upvote 0
CR I rooted primarly to remove junk apps that att force feeds you, att maps, att music etc. I will never need that. I dont remember what rooting method I used one harder than the one click I know that, however, after you root you will need to get titanium backup and busy box to remove the bloatware from your device. Back up all your apps then update to froyo 2.2 (or just wait for them to release it OTA) then restore them (via titanium backup) after you have the new software....From what it looks like J is saying you will lose your root but if you backup all your apps you will still have the superuser permissions and busy box and Tbu, I lost all those bc I didnt backup my apps like I should have prior to updating to 2.2 you can only have those apps if your phone is rooted hope this helps I am new at it myself, BB user for 5+ years..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones