• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Here is a question no one is asking what happens when in 6 months or a year comes along and an atrix owner decides they want something new. These docks will probably sell for nothing, so added up front cost and even bigger back end loss?

That's what we get for wanting the latest and greatest. We've learned to deal with it.

Upvote 0
Not the iPhone. I'm looking forward to making a nice profit on my iPhone 4 when the Atrix is released.

The iPhone as well, if it isn't unlocked or unlockable then you probably wont get more than retail for it. Of course if you got it on contract then you are going to make money but I'm talking retail vs. resell and unless your iPhone separates itself from others then you probably won't get more than retail. Both 16GB and 32GB are $599 and $699 so if you bought these off contract I don't see you making all your money back unless like I said its unlocked or unlockable.

Upvote 0
Isn't it going to be a loss since you have to pay full price for the Atrix?

I'm not paying full price for the Atrix. The last upgrade on my account was in 2009 when I got the 3GS. I used another account that had an upgrade to get the iPhone 4.

The iPhone as well, if it isn't unlocked or unlockable then you probably wont get more than retail for it. Of course if you got it on contract then you are going to make money but I'm talking retail vs. resell and unless your iPhone separates itself from others then you probably won't get more than retail. Both 16GB and 32GB are $599 and $699 so if you bought these off contract I don't see you making all your money back unless like I said its unlocked or unlockable.

I didn't pay retail I paid the upgrade price. So getting at or near retail is a nice profit.

Upvote 0
I'm not paying full price for the Atrix. The last upgrade on my account was in 2009 when I got the 3GS. I used another account that had an upgrade to get the iPhone 4.

I didn't pay retail I paid the upgrade price. So getting at or near retail is a nice profit.

Well that's what I'm saying, you'll make money off it as I did. The point I was trying to make is everything depreciates once you buy it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm sure the docks won't be worth much in 2 years. I mean the original Droid docks are like half of what they used to be, en eBay.
Personally I don't really care about resale value, I know I am taking a loss. But then again I usually hand my phones down to friends or family, I gave my roommate my G1 when I got the Milestone and I am going to give him the Milestone when I get the Atrix and then hand the G1 down to someone else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones