Resale of iPhone 4 for Captivate

Last Updated:

1. nybmx

nybmx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm looking to pick up a Captivate by the end of the month. It just occurred to me that since I'm eligible for an upgrade that I could buy a 32gb iPhone 4 for $299 and sell it on ebay for a lot more. Afterward I could just buy the captivate at the no contract price that at&t offers (~$500) and use the extra money for a micro sd card and whatever else I want.

Has anyone else done this? Are there any problems with doing this, such as at&t not allowing it? I assume there shouldn't be a problem but sometimes companies have some fine print that you would never expect.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. peachpuff

peachpuff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

you should have no problem doing that

4. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

It's disgusting how much money you can get for a new iP4 on eBay...and somewhat hilarious. And sad (as a sign of intelligence of the human race) given off-contract from AT&T is 600$ for the 16g version. And fortunate for you!

5. nybmx

Alright cool I didn't think it would be a problem. Thanks.

6. ckyllr

ckyllr Member

That's what I did to offset some of my cost. I originally got the Iphone 4 for $199 and sold it on ebay for $700 and bought the captivate off of craiglist for $250. So... basically cost me nothing to upgrade and pocket $250 in the process.

7. malibu_rapper

malibu_rapper Well-Known Member

Good idea, wish I had thought of it...

8. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I like hearing about things like this, but sometimes it is more trouble then it is worth. Don't get me wrong, I like money, but sometimes dealing with eBay is a pain, and all the users.....

Great idea though, I see no flaws in the logic.

9. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

I was going to do that until I realized it will only net me around $50-100 after buying the Captivate at no-commitment price. Not worth the hassle to me (I won't buy a newer smartphone on CL due to warranty purposes).

And remember, Ebay, Paypal and shipping fees add up.

10. nybmx

Yeah that's a concern of mine. The main concern I have though is getting a phone that I can jailbreak and unlock. Unlocked 32gb phones are going for over $800.

11. richierich

richierich Active Member

Yup I did all the calculations and it wouldn't be worth the hassle

12. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

I heard all new iPhones are shipping with 4.0.2 which can't be Jailbroken at the moment. Keep that in mind.

Yep. Assuming you can sell a 16GB for $600-700, that's around $350-450 in pocket (after taking out the $200 for the phone and fees of selling). Buy a new Captivate and...

I get premier pricing on the Captivate (~$370) and still not worth it. It would be easier for me to just buy a Captivate at no commitment and flip it for the $50 profit - but still not worth the hassle ;)

13. malibu_rapper

malibu_rapper Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it's much more difficult to sell the phone on craigslist than eBay, then you don't have to worry about those fees...