Resetting Google Maps?

Last Updated:

1. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For some reason and not everytime but enough to raise some concern is that when I pull up Google maps, its not showing me where I am actually at. The other day it had me about 2 miles from where I was at. Today it had me a half a mile away. Tonight I downloaded an app called "Trapster" thats like having a radar detector in your car. Well the google map with that program is showing that I am in California but I am on the east coast!!!!

I looked through all the settings and couldn't find anything that would reset the map or anything like that. Should I go and empty my Cache or something?

Advertisement
  2. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

Do you have the GPS turned on? If not, that could account for a 2 mile variance - I have no idea about that other program and your bi-coastal nature . . .

3. Chuck1906

Nope my GPS was off but when I turned it on, I got the same results. Maps was showing my location to be way off from where I am at right now. I pulled up that other program and its still showing that I am in California!

4. Chuck1906

Is there a way to enter in my Home or Work address as starting points?

5. pbwhite

pbwhite Well-Known Member

Had this happen twice on a 1000 mile drive. Both times it showed me close to home in MA when I was many miles away.
    It almost has to be a software issue solving for the wrong location or using stale almanac data, but I couldn't figure out a way to clear that info to force a 'cold start'.
    My only fix was to leave gps on, and let it 'bake' while stationary for 10 min, and it finally fixed itself.
    I noted while it was flaky that the elev was 2000+ feet, and only 3 sats showed lock - clearly an error.

6. allanlaw

Turn on the gps and let it get a fix (the gps icon in the notification area will stop blinking). Start Maps, and when the map loads, press the menu key and then tap "my location" icon on the screen. Your correct location should jump right on the map. If not, you've got a sick Droid. It is possible of course that the other program you loaded is goofing something up, so try uninstalling it and then repeating the drill. Good luck.

7. Trapster

Trapster New Member

8. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

Something is wrong with mine as well. Lately I've been getting horrible locations or very inaccurate GPS readings. I work in MD very close to the Potomac River and about 80% of the time, when I look at Google Maps, it will show my location as across the river in VA! In addition, the range circle is huge! I have full service and 3G and no trees around me at all, so why would it be so inaccurate??

Edit: Wow. I just turned off the 'use cell towers to find location' but kept on 'use GPS for location'. Google maps couldn't find my location at all. I turned on the cell towers locator again and GM showed me my exact location at work. Not one minute ago, it was showing me across the river. Odd.

9. Chuck1906

When I originally posted this thread I was experiencing the issue here at home. However once I headed into work (after I posted this) I pulled up Google Maps and it updated to my current location and the blue icon was exactly where I was on the highway. That other program "Trapster" finally updated to the east coast as well! Now I am back home, its showing me the wrong info on the phone! I am guessing I have to be in the car for this to work right! LOL!

10. allanlaw

So it would not be possible for one app to be interfering with another app (like Maps)? Then Android is indeed a remarkable operating system.